PRO 652

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanDanRadioMan

Premium Subscriber
I am a Newbie, paid for my subscription, have my software program, program a few channels in, it works fine. Though I try Radio Reference, what do I do NEXT?
Would like to program the scanner for the entire state of Maine. Is it possible? One more question. What is Global Att. Do I turn it ON or OFF. And Normal ON or OFF
Thank You,Dan

DanDanRadioMan

Premium Subscriber
So you turn it OFF to turn the attenuator ON?
just a note: I don't want any attenuator. Want to receive all the frequency I can.
I have a G in the upper left corner, if I make the G go away it doesn't receive anything not close.
Is this correct? Thanks Dan

PaMonitor

Premium Subscriber
G = Global attention, if your trying to hear your whole state that needs to be off. The Radio Shack Pro-652's were noted for sound issues. There are several treads here that relate to that. I have one placed in the protected archives (storage) because of sound problems. Also, you'll be lucky to receive your whole county let alone the state. What antenna are you using?

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
So you turn it OFF to turn the attenuator ON?
just a note: I don't want any attenuator. Want to receive all the frequency I can.
I have a G in the upper left corner, if I make the G go away it doesn't receive anything not close.
Is this correct? Thanks Dan

When you see the G in the display, it indicates that the global attenuation mode is available, but not functioning (or not turned on)... there is no attenuation of any signal coming in to the scanner.

When you see GA in the display, it means that the global attenuation mode is available, and it is functioning (or turned on).... to attenuate all signals that the scanner is receiving.

You can also attenuate individual signals while not in the global mode. See the links provided by doctordialtone above for setting that up.

DanDanRadioMan

Premium Subscriber
G = Global attention, if your trying to hear your whole state that needs to be off. The Radio Shack Pro-652's were noted for sound issues. There are several treads here that relate to that. I have one placed in the protected archives (storage) because of sound problems. Also, you'll be lucky to receive your whole county let alone the state. What antenna are you using?

DanDanRadioMan

Premium Subscriber
No problem with sound problems. P25 is louder that most conventional Objects. Now I understand that GA in the upper left corner means it is available. So for now I will leave GA on. Also a discone antenna on top of a 100' tower. 1/2"hard line feeding equipment. For now.
Thanks for all your help. Next question, how do you download frequency's from Radio Reference to put into scanner. ( copy and paste )

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Now I understand that GA in the upper left corner means it is available. So for now I will leave GA on.

Just to be clear, with GA showing, every signal coming into your scanner is being attenuated (weakened from it's incoming strength at your antenna).

u2brent

OAMPT
G displayed means Global Attenuation is active. you need it off (the G goes away)
A displayed means Attenuation is enabled on the specific object being scanned. This is in addition to the global setting (But the same attenuation applies, It does not double ATT). It pertains to the frequency being scanned at the moment. You don't want to see a G or A if you're trying to get the strongest rcv signal possible.

A T means a Trunked Control Channel is being received/decoded.
An S means the Squelch is open/or signal is being received. conventional or trunked
Those you want to see...

Last edited:

u2brent

OAMPT
I beg to differ, It means EVERYTHING is attenuated. Only if you don't see the G can you be sure it's off.. The G being displayed means it ON, & enabled globally. Not the other way around..

I'll put it this way.. Neither are being displayed on my unit's and I want Attenuation OFF, So IDK...
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ .. Love That by the way:)

I see the caveat.. Oh boy.. :rolleyes: G alone means it's available GA means it On. Still seems counter-intuitive..

Last edited:

PaMonitor

Premium Subscriber
Atten: When set to 'On', applies 20 dB of attenuation to all transmissions in the system. Useful in areas where interference from nearby strong signals is present. Default is Off.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
I see the caveat.. Oh boy.. :rolleyes: G alone means it's available GA means it On. Still seems counter-intuitive..

Atten: When set to 'On', applies 20 dB of attenuation to all transmissions in the system. Useful in areas where interference from nearby strong signals is present. Default is Off.

Yes, agreed, it can seem counter intuitive and confusing at first from a logical standpoint. I would bet many are indeed confused by it..... but as you observed in the Easier to Read manual:

To Turn Global Attenuation On press ATT (GA in the display).
To Turn Global Attenuation Off press ATT (G in the display).

The Radioshack PRO652 owner's manual covers it on page 17:

G The attenuator is set for Global mode.
A The attenuator is currently active

Status
Not open for further replies.