Pro-668: Pro-668 DMR upgrade (unofficial firmware)

XVCham

Another radio dude
Hey you all, I am planning on purchasing a new Pro-66.

I was just wondering if the "Free" unofficial software is still out there for me to experiment with. being a high school student and having limited budget + wanting to use the new scanner right away, I have came to search the downloads to unofficial firmware. If anyone is able to provide a link or lead me to pre-existing thread, that would be awesome. To clarify, I do plan on upgrading my scanner in the future to official firmware. This will be my first scanner (I've had sdr, couple dmr radios) so I just wanted to start experimenting.

CycleSycho

Hey you all, I am planning on purchasing a new Pro-66.

I was just wondering if the "Free" unofficial software is still out there for me to experiment with. being a high school student and having limited budget + wanting to use the new scanner right away, I have came to search the downloads to unofficial firmware. If anyone is able to provide a link or lead me to pre-existing thread, that would be awesome. To clarify, I do plan on upgrading my scanner in the future to official firmware. This will be my first scanner (I've had sdr, couple dmr radios) so I just wanted to start experimenting.

o_O Did you mean the PRO-66, or the PRO-668? If the 668, they have been discontinued for quite a while, are you sure your getting a 'NEW' scanner? If so, take the extra step and send it in (virgin) to Whistler for the legacy scanner upgrade. I do not know of an easy way to 'unofficially' get it to 'DMR or even to update the library (current). IF by chance you do get it updated to the 'hacked' DMR, you might have to pay more to 'officially' make it a clone of the WS-1080. Right now it is less cost if it is a virgin 668. With the official upgrade you'll have a clean 'DMR' capable radio & you can use Ez-Scan for the upgraded radio (the Ez-Scan version for the WS-1080). Good luck! o_O

XVCham

Another radio dude
I am well aware that it may brick the radio (well, not "brick" but disable dmr features). The radio is "new, unopened". Apparently the seller bought it and never got a chance to use it. I just want to experiment it and because I live in Canada, it is a little harder for me to ship it in.

XVCham

Another radio dude
Also Thanks for all the responses but just so we are all on track here. I am well aware of the risk and things associated with loading 668 with unofficial firmware. I did some research and I managed to read everything about what would happen but never got how to make it happen.

You could brick it but I've had my Pro668 and Pro18 with the unofficial fw for years and no issues and DMR works excellent.
DO NOT UPGRADE beyond FW 4.5 and DSP 3.2 to keep it up and running

^ If you still have the tools or whatever you need to get the unofficial fw. I would greatly appreciate it if you could send that to me, or send me a link to where you could get one.

CycleSycho

I am well aware that it may brick the radio (well, not "brick" but disable dmr features)......

:) I guess you know a little more about the 'hacked' version of the firmware than I used to know.. I was under the impression from all the posts I read about the 'hack' that it bricked the radio (didn't work at all). Remember to not use Ez-Scan to update EXCEPT just the library (if you find the things needed to get it to the 'unofficial' version). At least I do remember that (unless they also changed that portion of Ez-Scan, you know, something that would recognize the radio isn't running the latest versions of the F/W or software installed?). Don't you just love the name 'unofficial version'?). Just in case you wish to save a few bucks down the road (AS) the cost to upgrade that hacked radio is much higher, the link for the legacy radio upgrades is ' https://whistlergroup.com/products/upgrade ', it is only 70 bucks plus shipping (and they sometimes have specials for a few dollars less.... Anyway, good luck! :)

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
The Whistler upgrade is the best way to go. I have two that have the factory version and they both are noticeably better and even handle my simulcast system. Do it yourself creates many paper weights.

Paco-Jerte

You Member, Member!
^ If you still have the tools or whatever you need to get the unofficial fw. I would greatly appreciate it if you could send that to me, or send me a link to where you could get one.

Not sure if I do, likely prob not. Loaded these files years back when first released. And just happen to still have the 668 and 18 with me.

Paco-Jerte

You Member, Member!
one keynote is that I've compared both official and none-official on a Pro-668 and both scanners performed the same. Did not see or noticed any difference while scanning P25/P25 P1/P2 and or DMR.

I did sell the OFFICIAL 668 a while back and kept the Hacked one for that same reason.

JustLou

one keynote is that I've compared both official and none-official on a Pro-668 and both scanners performed the same. Did not see or noticed any difference while scanning P25/P25 P1/P2 and or DMR.

I did sell the OFFICIAL 668 a while back and kept the Hacked one for that same reason.

Same. I have a WS1080 and it performs no better or worse than my 688 with the 4.5 firmware.

XVCham

Another radio dude
Update: I got my 668 yesterday. I managed to program it with EZ-scan (I tried IScan, it sucked). Now I'm just trying to see if I can load it with the "hacked/unofficial firmware" to get DMR unlocked. I did not update the radio and I only updated the database via EZ-Scan

Paco-Jerte

You Member, Member!
Update: I got my 668 yesterday. I managed to program it with EZ-scan (I tried IScan, it sucked). Now I'm just trying to see if I can load it with the "hacked/unofficial firmware" to get DMR unlocked. I did not update the radio and I only updated the database via EZ-Scan

Read your PM/Conversation.... sent some goodies :cool:

XVCham

Another radio dude
I have the files I need now, all I need to ask is for the people who have DMR functionality at the moment, are you running DSP 3.1 or 3.0?

JustLou

I have the files I need now, all I need to ask is for the people who have DMR functionality at the moment, are you running DSP 3.1 or 3.0?

3.2. ...As already noted, if you find the modfied 4.6 firmware on the internet, do not use it. When combined with DSP 3.2, it triggers the code to lock DMR out of your radio permenantly.

XVCham

Another radio dude
Awesome, I did the firmware upgrade last night. Thanks to @Paco-Jerte very quick response. I was able to get everything I needed. Thank you guys so much for the support

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
I have DSP 3.2 on both Pro668 and Pro18.

again do not go over FW v4.5 and DSP 3.2.

btw: also DSP 3.1 works
If you have dsp 3.2 you WILL brick it. (NO DMR RECEPTION), YOU need the early version of dsp 3.1 or use dsp 3.0...cpu firmware doesn't matter.

JustLou

If you have dsp 3.2 you WILL brick it. (NO DMR RECEPTION), YOU need the early version of dsp 3.1 or use dsp 3.0...cpu firmware doesn't matter.
This is not true. I've been using the latest 3.2 DSP with firmware 4.5 for years. Whsitler put the malicious code in firmware 4.6 and it's activated if the DSP is above 3.1.

Last edited: