Pro-668: Pro-668 DMR upgrade (unofficial firmware)

XVCham

Another radio dude
This is not true. I've been using the latest 3.2 DSP with firmware 4.5 for years. Whsitler put the malicious code in firmware 4.6 and it's activated if the DSP is above 3.1.

Ah, I've been reading back on the old thread as well. That's what I figured happened after hearing that people with DSP 3.2/FW 4.5 combination works perfectly. I saw the old threads and majority of people appear to be on FW 4.6 and had the weird code that was activated after July. Oh well, should I upgrade to DSP 3.2 or stay at 3.1 just to be safe. What's the difference?

JustLou

Ah, I've been reading back on the old thread as well. That's what I figured happened after hearing that people with DSP 3.2/FW 4.5 combination works perfectly. I saw the old threads and majority of people appear to be on FW 4.6 and had the weird code that was activated after July. Oh well, should I upgrade to DSP 3.2 or stay at 3.1 just to be safe. What's the difference?

DSP 3.2 Update:
• Fix issue with occasional audio drop outs.

It's up to you whether you want to update. I've been running 3.2 for 4 or 5 years without an issue.

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
5 years with 3.2 and 4.5 and still rocking

So you are saying you have DMR reception on a hacked pro-668 with dsp 3.2?

Just trying to wrap my head around this as it goes against everything I have read and know about the hack....Not saying the scanner will not work, DMR will not work if on hacked DSP firmware above the early version of 3.1 of which there were 2 version of 3.1..you want the June 2017 or earlier. The July DSP ver 3.1 put in the "time bomb" that will kill DMR ..it actually ruins that part of the logic board so when you send it in for the legacy upgrade it cost more because they have to replace the logic board in order to get DMR back.

JustLou

Just trying to wrap my head around this as it goes against everything I have read and know about the hack....Not saying the scanner will not work, DMR will not work if on hacked DSP firmware above the early version of 3.1 of which there were 2 version of 3.1..you want the June 2017 or earlier. The July DSP ver 3.1 put in the "time bomb" that will kill DMR ..it actually ruins that part of the logic board so when you send it in for the legacy upgrade it cost more because they have to replace the logic board in order to get DMR back.

The "time bonb" is the 4.6 firmware not the DSP. The 3.2 DSP file (config.bin) is just the detonator it needs to go off.

PXL_20220622_155927055.jpg

Last edited:

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
The "time bonb" is the 4.6 firmware not the DSP. The 3.2 DSP file (config.bin) is just the detonator it needs to go off.
So am I correct in saying if you run dsp 3.0 any CPU firmware will work?

JustLou

So am I correct in saying if you run dsp 3.0 any CPU firmware will work?
On any firmware that had been modified to be used with the firmware update tool. AFAIK, the last one modified was 4.6. If you try to installa non-modified CPU Firmware with the tool, you'll soft-brick the radio. You wil then need to use the tool to install a modified firmware version to get it working again.

Last edited:

T-Santon

So I did this hack years ago, just before the "time bomb" came out... and my memory on the process is a little fuzzy.

I just checked, and I have the 4.5 FW with the 3.1 DSP. Can I just use the current Whistler EZ Scan Software to upgrade the DSP to the latest version, or would I need that custom firmware application to upgrade it to 3.2?

JustLou

So I did this hack years ago, just before the "time bomb" came out... and my memory on the process is a little fuzzy.

I just checked, and I have the 4.5 FW with the 3.1 DSP. Can I just use the current Whistler EZ Scan Software to upgrade the DSP to the latest version, or would I need that custom firmware application to upgrade it to 3.2?

You can upgrade the DSP with EZ Scan. It's just a configuration file stored on your SD Card. (config.bin)

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber

Hello,

Actually it is more insidious. There is only one version of DSP Version 3.1. There is a check of the real-time clock in the scanner and any DSP Version 3.1 will "detonate" past the July 2017 date. I would get the official update.

73 Eric

XVCham

Another radio dude
Hello,

Actually it is more insidious. There is only one version of DSP Version 3.1. There is a check of the real-time clock in the scanner and any DSP Version 3.1 will "detonate" past the July 2017 date. I would get the official update.

73 Eric

Hey good to see ya Eric. Just wanted to say, I used GREFwTool to update my clock and my radio still decodes DMR, DMR trunked sites perfectly on FW4.5 and DSP3.1

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

73 Eric
SO 3.1 has the detonator based on the scanners clock, but did they also carry that over to 3.2?

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
Hey good to see ya Eric. Just wanted to say, I used GREFwTool to update my clock and my radio still decodes DMR, DMR trunked sites perfectly on FW4.5 and DSP3.1
Hello,

The "bomb" has two parts. FW 4.6 is also needed. The only change between DSP 3.0 and DSP 3.1 is added code that disables DMR and firmware updates. FW 4.6 has code to determine the date and call the code in the DSP 3.1 file.

73 Eric

XVCham

Another radio dude
Hello,

The "bomb" has two parts. FW 4.6 is also needed. The only change between DSP 3.0 and DSP 3.1 is added code that disables DMR and firmware updates. FW 4.6 has code to determine the date and call the code in the DSP 3.1 file.

73 Eric

Thank you Eric for clarifying everything. So for people wanting to continue using “hack” for whatever reasons. Stay at 4.5 and use dsp 3.1 or 3.2

CycleSycho

:) Seems to me a way to end the use of the 'hack' (for the majority of the hobbyists) might be to almost instantly brick a lot of scanners by coming out with an 'auto update' in Ez-Scan for the use of the program (you know, the 'accept' before install part of the install file not being able to 'uncheck' the software necessary to modify the hardware)... I wonder if the bean counters at Whistler have computed the risk/benefit aspect of this (and decided not to use this avenue, or just don't want to PI55-OFF too many owner/customers)... The avenue to continue to use the legacy hardware (for all of us who purchased the equipment and want to continue to benefit from the investment) has been and always been a good faith effort on Whistlers part, so does Whistler have the right to now either lose a bunch of customers & support only upgraded and current hardware? Either way, I've got the 'official' upgrade (after trying the 'hack' when it first came out to see how well it worked AND to be able to easily continue to upgrade the radio). The discussion, whether or not the time is right for the majority of the people who are using the radios with a hacked software to lose that right, or allow illegal use of their proprietary owned software/hardware. :)

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber

:) Seems to me a way to end the use of the 'hack' (for the majority of the hobbyists) might be to almost instantly brick a lot of scanners by coming out with an 'auto update' in Ez-Scan for the use of the program (you know, the 'accept' before install part of the install file not being able to 'uncheck' the software necessary to modify the hardware)... I wonder if the bean counters at Whistler have computed the risk/benefit aspect of this (and decided not to use this avenue, or just don't want to PI55-OFF too many owner/customers)... The avenue to continue to use the legacy hardware (for all of us who purchased the equipment and want to continue to benefit from the investment) has been and always been a good faith effort on Whistlers part, so does Whistler have the right to now either lose a bunch of customers & support only upgraded and current hardware? Either way, I've got the 'official' upgrade (after trying the 'hack' when it first came out to see how well it worked AND to be able to easily continue to upgrade the radio). The discussion, whether or not the time is right for the majority of the people who are using the radios with a hacked software to lose that right, or allow illegal use of their proprietary owned software/hardware. :)

I wonder how the new "right to repair" laws play into this now?

CycleSycho

I wonder how the new "right to repair" laws play into this now?

:) Seems to me, a 'right to repair' would mean repair it to work as designed, not modify it to use software it didn't come with. If a much broader definition is applied, then anything and everything is open to modify (and then able to be used/reproduced by someone across the entire hobby). Who then would invest monies to develop new 'anything'? Perusing some of these links ("right to repair" laws? at DuckDuckGo) may lead to insight for how far a consumer can go, happy reading! :)