Pro-668: pro-668 getting started...in simple terms

Status
Not open for further replies.

zackz

Hi everyone, for the past 5 days I have spent countless hours researching how to set up my pro 668 with no luck. I have read the "easier to read" at this link here Easier to Read Pro-668/PSR800 Digital Scanner and EZ-Scan/iScan Software Manual v scanners

my problem is I'm a visual learner, are there any videos that show how to set this thing up? the search on this forum doesn't work for me, it comes up with no results no matter what I type in it.

I simply want to pick up all police transmissions in pierce and king county. then I want to know how to listen to them on the scanner from the main menu.

are there any humble people willing to help me out?

I'm willing to paypal somebody if I need to.

thanks in advance for any and all help!

LoveRadios

Have you installed the iScan software from the scanner?
I also had a learning curve to use and program with the iScan software. It is not self explanatory.

Go to this YouTube link listed below. It is called."Whistler Police Scanner Programming #4 How to Program for Your Area"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4DQVHyWrus

The person explains how to program using EZ Scan, but iScan can be used the same way.
In the Library Import screen, in Select Import Type -->click on "Preferred" to select your state and county.

hope that helps..

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
Best thing you can do is the unofficial upgrade to ws1080. Start there, and that will help make programming a bit easier due to updates in the ezscan software that iscan will never see.

LoveRadios

I want to convert my pro668 to ws1080 also. I don't have the 3.8 firmware.
I asked for it in another thread, but no one sent to me. I think because being a newbie to the
forum I can not received emails or PM yet.

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber

zackz

Am I really this stupid when it comes to computers or am I missing something!?

I have followed the instructions from the wiki precisely...I get held up at step #8. For some weird reason I get an error message, serial port error: " A device attached to the system is not functioning." please help I'm losing my mind over this! I'm about ready to sell my 668 but I don't want to quit that easily!

Keep in mind that the COM port is filled in. in step 6 on the wiki, I put 668 in because that's the scanner I have, I select WS1080 in the firmware dropdown because that's what I want the scanner to become, then I press the apply button. After that I download the firmware via the "download firmware from website button." It then says "download successful." After that I select the "connect to scanner" icon and I receive the error message saying "a device attached to the system is not functioning.

What the hell is going on?

I am running windows 10

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
Am I really this stupid when it comes to computers or am I missing something!?

I have followed the instructions from the wiki precisely...I get held up at step #8. For some weird reason I get an error message, serial port error: " A device attached to the system is not functioning." please help I'm losing my mind over this! I'm about ready to sell my 668 but I don't want to quit that easily!

Keep in mind that the COM port is filled in. in step 6 on the wiki, I put 668 in because that's the scanner I have, I select WS1080 in the firmware dropdown because that's what I want the scanner to become, then I press the apply button. After that I download the firmware via the "download firmware from website button." It then says "download successful." After that I select the "connect to scanner" icon and I receive the error message saying "a device attached to the system is not functioning.

What the hell is going on?

I am running windows 10

First can you set the clock in iscan? if not try a different KNOWN good USB cable.

If that doesn't work, you need to have the 668 comport driver working properly to do the firmware upgrade. uninstall and delete the files for the comport driver (under device manager in windows). then follow the windows 10 directions for allowing unsigned drivers (google it) then reinstall the driver. try to set clock again via iscan if successful then you should be able to upgrade.

Last edited:

LoveRadios

I encountered similar problem. The scanner display reads "waiting for USB".
After some head scratching, found out the com port is not activated with a driver.
The SETTING indicates the com port is connected to a port, but it is not. You need to load the driver from Radio Shack for the Pro668. Once the driver is install, Update Firmware in Scanner is smooth sailing.

Status
Not open for further replies.