WS1080: Pro-668 (Upgraded) Limit Search Problems- Wrong Frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

kh6sz

Premium Subscriber
I'm having a problem with my pro-668 (legacy upgraded to ws1080) during the limit search. Every frequency that it detects is exactly .003125 too high. For example, on a known frequency of 461.9125, it will stop on 461.915625 every time. Is there any way to adjust for that variation so it stops on the true frequency? My TRX-1 with the exact same settings stop on the correct frequency. I'm guessing that the zeromatic function of the 668 is not working right and might have to be tuned, but I have no idea what the 3 fields are. They are all set to defaults, Threshold=1180, Slope=520, Delay=50. Can someone give me a "detailed" description of what each one does so I can have a better understanding of what they do? Any help or suggestions on what to try would be appreciated. Thanks.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
I really don't think the settings are what's making the offset, as my settings have been the same for years and it used to work. Do you have the most current firmware in the TRX-1? My problems began after a firmware update about 2 upgrades ago. And the freq is off exactly what yours are (I think .000675, might be 625 not 675). Also when you go to enter the freq in search if you try to enter 461.1 it reads 460.9993, which would be similar (.0007) to the offset in the frequency you are receiving in search.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
This issue as been discussed as early as December of last year, and again in March by you I believe @kh6sz so it's not a new issue. I missed the August 2019 posts @tvengr mentioned.

WhistlerWendy

Premium Subscriber
Hi Kh6sz -
Based on your description you may want to try increasing or decreasing the Slope for the Zeromatic value to land on the correct frequency.

ZeroMatic Settings:

This option controls how the scanner tunes to a frequency. It is recommended that you use the default values unless you really know what you are doing. Click on the Load Defaults button to set the radio back to the default values.

There are three settings available:

Threshold

This is the DC offset setting. Defaults to 1180mV. User-settable from 900 to 1500 mV.

Slope

This is the voltage vs. frequency error ratio. Defaults to 520. User-settable from 450 to 600.

Delay

How long after detecting RF squelch we start checking Zeromatic. User-settable from 10 to 250 milliseconds. Defaults to 50ms.

Hope that helps!

Thanks,
WW

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Hi Kh6sz -
Based on your description you may want to try increasing or decreasing the Slope for the Zeromatic value to land on the correct frequency.

ZeroMatic Settings:

This option controls how the scanner tunes to a frequency. It is recommended that you use the default values unless you really know what you are doing. Click on the Load Defaults button to set the radio back to the default values.

Hi @WhistlerWendy ,
For those not totally familiar with Zeromatic and are having a similar problem entering a LIMIT SEARCH Frequency (IE 461.000 enters 460.993) will you please post a better explanation of decreasing/increasing the slope?

Thanks
N1GAW

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
From another post back in 2005 in RR "
Say you're searching, and the scanner stops at 154.4225 MHz. You look it up, but no one in your area is using that channel - the closest thing you can find is 154.430 MHz, 7.5 KHz away. The scanner is broad enough that even though it's tuned to 154.4225, 154.43 comes through. (154.4375 will also.) But the signal is a little distorted.

Zeromatic will tune the scanner up a little to 154.430, so it sounds clear. FM receivers have a point at which, as you tune through a signal, that point's output goes from negative, through 0, to positive. Zeromatic tunes until that point is at 0. No big mystery.

From Marks easier to read manuals:
Zeromatic Tuning​
Zeromatic tuning is a feature that enhances the scanner's ability to lock on to the actual center frequency of a search hit instead of an adjacent frequency.
This option is available for all Limit, Service, and Stalker/Sweeper search objects and dedicated searches except CB, Marine, and F/G/MURS.
To Toggle Zeromatic Tuning, from each search menu use ▼ or ▲ to scroll to 'Zeromatic' and press SEL/► to enable (check) or disable (uncheck).

kh6sz

Premium Subscriber
Ok, I'm got my legacy upgraded pro-668 to finally display the right frequency during limit searches. First, I tried changing the Slope setting as Whistler Wendy had suggested, but whatever I tried, doesn't make any difference. Then I tried changing the delay, and again no difference. Then I changed the threshold from 1180 to 1000, and everything started displaying properly. It seems to miss stopping on a frequency every once in a while, but I'd say about 5-10% of the time it doesn't stop. It's funny that my trx-1 displays the right frequency with the default settings, but the 668 does not. Needless to say, I'm happy that I found a workaround and will be putting it thru the paces in the next few days to see if it truly displays everything properly. All tests so far has been in the 461-465 MHz DMR range, but will be testing all other bands soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.