Pro-82 LCD faded

Status
Not open for further replies.

NSRailFan

I've had the Pro-82 radio scanner for awhile now, I've taken it with me when I'm railfanning or wanting to listen to Air Traffic Control. However, over the past year, the LCD display has started to fade. Now if you press on the display, you can still see the numbers. Other than that though, you can't see anything.

Is there a fix for this? I ask because, beside the faded LCD display, it's a pretty good scanner, and I would at least want to attempt to fix the display before chucking it and buying a new scanner.

I've had the Pro-82 radio scanner for awhile now, I've taken it with me when I'm railfanning or wanting to listen to Air Traffic Control. However, over the past year, the LCD display has started to fade. Now if you press on the display, you can still see the numbers. Other than that though, you can't see anything.

Is there a fix for this? I ask because, beside the faded LCD display, it's a pretty good scanner, and I would at least want to attempt to fix the display before chucking it and buying a new scanner.

I'm thinking you would have to get a whole new LCD Display which I have no idea how much it would cost. It probably varies on brand.

After looking it varies on the type electronic device it is. So anywhere from as low as 21 dollars to even 100 or more.

Last edited:

EMT-Pat

I had my Pro 82 apart today (at least the big parts). It only required phillips screwdrivers. I have the same problem with the LCD not displaying all of the "blocks" unless I press against the outside of the screen. The LCD would seem to only be held in place against the connections to all of the pins by the plastic outer casing. At first it was stuck against the pc board so I thought it was glued (maybe it was). I then tried to heat it to get it to stick back on but I was just wasting my time. The black plastic is moulded inside to provide a place for the LCD and LED light reflector to stay in place. There isn't a ribbon that can be re-seated into a connection.

Have you tried looking at this website?
RadioShack PRO-82 200-Channel VHF/Air/UHF Handheld Scanner 200-0315 Detailed Parts List
I do not know if you can get these parts any more. My guess is the part from the list is "LCD201 12390548 LCD L90592"

If you can press against the LCD and make it all reappear, the LCD itself may not even be broken. In other words, it seems like by pressing against it, you are pushing the flexible connector against the pc board better and therefore making a better connection. I think if you buy a new LCD, it would be a waste of money. For me I think it's a problem with how the LCD makes the connection to the pc board only.

After I messed around / wasted time and put it back together, the LCD did improve (more blocks without pressing) but it was not a complete fix.

Last edited:

slicerwizard

The silicone interconnector for the LCD is making poor electrical contact. Remove it and rub a pencil over both edges (logic board side and LCD side) to refurbish it. Reassemble the scanner and add a shim (folded paper, whatever) to force the LCD to press harder against the interconnector.

EMT-Pat

Thank you slicerwizard, I'll give that a try as today I turned it back on and it's back to not displaying correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.