pro-82

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeonDeGamme

I am a total scanner noob and recently purchased a pro-82 scanner from Radio Shack. I had a scanner when i was younger but regretfully I sold it. I am having problems with understanding a basic function. I want to be able to enter a frequency into the scanner and start searching from that point. Do I have to have the particular frequency programmed into the scanner in order to search from that point or is there a way to simply just type the frequency in and go from there??

Colin9690

Delaware County, OH
Premium Subscriber
Does your scanner have a TUNE button? If so, press that and enter the starting frequency, and you can search up or down from the entered frequency.

Hope This Helps, :)

LeonDeGamme

it does have a "tune" button but unfortunately the only starting frequency you can use is one that is ALREADY programmed as a channel. You can not enter just any frequency and start from there.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
LeonDeGamme said:
I am a total scanner noob and recently purchased a pro-82 scanner from Radio Shack. I had a scanner when i was younger but regretfully I sold it. I am having problems with understanding a basic function. I want to be able to enter a frequency into the scanner and start searching from that point. Do I have to have the particular frequency programmed into the scanner in order to search from that point or is there a way to simply just type the frequency in and go from there??
No, you can't do that with that model. You can either use the pre-programmed banks (what frequencies they cover are in the manual) or you can program your already known ones in the scan banks (instructions start on page 24 of the manual).

LeonDeGamme

anyone know of a lower end model @ $100 that does have that feature? it can be either a desktop model or handheld.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
LeonDeGamme said:
anyone know of a lower end model @ $100 that does have that feature? it can be either a desktop model or handheld.
The RS Pro-2052 is on closeout for $99.97, it will do a limit search and a whole lot more. You have to find one in a store somewhere around you though.

LeonDeGamme

looks good. Its available at a radio shack very near me. So, would anyone recommend this scanner? any reviews?

jeffrey420

The Pro-2052 is a very capable scanner. Has a wide frequency range (29 thru 1300 mhz excluding cellular and 700 mhz band), and is capable of Motorola, Edacs trunking modes. It has a large channel capacity of 1,000 which is broken up into 20 banks of 50.

Things to consider:
1. It is a base scanner not handheld.
2. On the other hand it is very light weight.
3. Trunking will be an issue after re-banding.

If you just want it for conventional and searching it will serve you well, especially since it capable of being computer controlled for search and log. To do this you will need a serial cable and additional software. I use scan-control for mine, and it does a good job. There are other software's out there.

For the money it is a good scanner.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.