pro-91 vs pro-164

Status
Not open for further replies.

dieselwiezil

Premium Subscriber
I found a PRO-164 for sale. How much is it worth? Currently im using a PRO-91 and it works good for my city but would like to get a better scanner if the price is right. How long has the 164 been out and is it a good scanner compared to a uniden or others? Price is $130... Good deal or no?

kvieira

I will speak on the price as I only have a pro-164 and can not compare it to others..

New at RS right now it is $179 on sale.. reg $199. I got mine on ebay new in open box with programming cable condor antenna and a case for $160 with shipping. I've seen new open box sell for around $115 but did not check to see how much for shipping so it probably will end up close to $125 - $135. So as long as you are getting a "new" scanner.. not one all scratched up and well worn the price is good.

I can say I really like my scanner.. it is not digital but does trunking just fine. I've used the signal search to find the freq of my local mall security and can listen to all the shop lifting and fights that happen there.. with the occasional security person trying to pickup on some girls on the mall.. LOL

So is it a good scanner? Yes.. is the price good... Yes for new or like new.. otherwise I've seen them sell for around $100 missing parts on ebay.

Hope this helps.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Pro-164 (psr-300)

The PRO-164 is the next revision of the PRO-97. They even look the same. You can read about the 164 here. The PRo-164 by Radio Shack is the same scanner, but packaged differently, as the GRE PSR-300.

You are really comparing two totally different animals. But it does depend on what you want to hear. If you're just listening to conventional stuff, then the '91 can be OK. If you want to hear trunked stuff, the newer scanners are a better way to go. Plus don't forget you can manage how these newer scanners are programmed with software on your PC.

ScannerMaster sells the PSR-300 for $149 and it comes with the AC adapter. RS does not include an AC adapter with the PRO-164. You can find these radios for a little less when on sale, or used.

kvieira

Side note.. I picked up an AC adapter from my pro-164 at my local Fry's Electronics for I think $8.49

ScannerMaster's price for the PSR-300 is great but make sure you factor in the shipping cost. The plus side to getting the PSR-300 is the firmware for those come out weeks if not months before RS releases it for the pro-164. But both are insync at the moment with build 1.07.

The programming cables are interchangeable meaning you can get the GRE or RS cable and they will work with either of the radios. Also the same software works for both radios.

Status
Not open for further replies.