pro 92 not waterproof

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevolene

I made the mistake of taking the old pro 92 to the bath with me friday night, I unknowingly knocked it over into a full tub of water while the unit was on, well to say the least after pulling it out of the water it made some real strange noises for a while then died altogether, I took it apart and shook out all the water I could, next day I sat it on the patio, hoping all the moisture would eventually dry out, well guess what, saturday evening about 6 oclock I put the batteries back in it and it works like a charm........what a deal

unitcharlie

a Kentucky DB Admin...
Premium Subscriber
stevolene said:
I made the mistake of taking the old pro 92 to the bath with me friday night, I unknowingly knocked it over into a full tub of water while the unit was on, well to say the least after pulling it out of the water it made some real strange noises for a while then died altogether, I took it apart and shook out all the water I could, next day I sat it on the patio, hoping all the moisture would eventually dry out, well guess what, saturday evening about 6 oclock I put the batteries back in it and it works like a charm........what a deal

Wish My 96 would resurrect in that manner... it died in a driving rain (six inches in about as many hours)....

Shortwavewave

I built a hanger in the shower for my pro99, I hang it up befor I turn the water on and wait till im all dry befor I take it off

or you could use the shower curtian to hang one I suppose it has a belt clip

Shortwavewave

the circuit boards in some electronics are coated enough to not be bothered by some amounts of water, and unless you have a huge amount of voltage applyed to the unit its not going to bother it.

I have 1979 Midland CB Radio was found in an OLDDDDD Bass boat(a good friend of mine) had sat in the rain, snow, sleet, shine, sun, 100degree weather for 8years!!!! took it home thinking I might could use it for parts, well something gave me the idea to hook it up, well it worked the only things I had to repleace are the speaker, and mic element

HOWS THAT FOR WELL BUILT AND WATERPROOF(lol)!!!

SCPD

QRT
unitcharlie said:
Wish My 96 would resurrect in that manner... it died in a driving rain (six inches in about as many hours)....

Similiar accident 4 months ago, took mine 3 days to dry out , buts been fine ever since :)

unitcharlie

a Kentucky DB Admin...
Premium Subscriber
Last time I tried it wouldn't get past the boot screen.... I'll go assemble it and see if it pops back to life. I miss the thing, all ugly with the reflective tape and the screen printing worn off the keypad and the PRO 95 top (because I fell on it and broke the top plate)...

N8IAA

unitcharlie said:
Last time I tried it wouldn't get past the boot screen.... I'll go assemble it and see if it pops back to life. I miss the thing, all ugly with the reflective tape and the screen printing worn off the keypad and the PRO 95 top (because I fell on it and broke the top plate)...

You may have cracked a circuit board or two in that fall.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
stevolene said:
The second biggest mistake you made was to leave the power on once you got it out of the water. Once the scanner is all wet, turn it OFF and take the batteries out. Shaking the water out is good; or if inclined take the case off and get as much water out as you can. Let the parts sit and dry for at least 24 hours (longer is better or perhaps in a warm room). Then put it back together and pray. This works for other devices too, not just scanners, like cordless phones, etc. One of the worst things you can do is to leave them powered wet until they die.

dangitdoug

????????????

Took the scanner in the bath with you? Yes folks, we have officially gone off the deep end. I can safely say none of my scanners have ever seen the inside of a restroom.

Just what were you listening to that you could not bear to miss out on?

edmondcops

Well, I got one of those fancy Yaesu dual bander ham HTs that are supposed to be waterproof for 30 minutes or whatever.

So, it only made sense to test the theory and check into the local net one Monday night while taking a shower.

dangitdoug

Lmao!!

Well, I got one of those fancy Yaesu dual bander ham HTs that are supposed to be waterproof for 30 minutes or whatever.

So, it only made sense to test the theory and check into the local net one Monday night while taking a shower.

You know I wore a ballistic vest for many years, but never popped off a round to test it. Some things are better left untested. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.