Pro-92 Pro-93 Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

rainmanky

Premium Subscriber
I have both scanners and they have been reinitialized and reset. They will not pick up anything in search or weather. I've tried 3 antennas. I even programmed a bank for my county with freqs and tones. Is there something else I need to do to the scanner to set it up?

scansalot52

A) Did the radios both work before the resets?
Or
B) Does the squelch control seem to function. Does turning the knob result in static noise either being heard or eliminated?
Or
C) Open up the scanner and see if the wire from the antenna connector to the board is still soldered at both ends.
Or
D) Some 92's develop a problem which has been attributed to bad chips, bad ribbon connections, etc. The symptom is that the scanner has to be left on for a while before it recognizes signals and begins to work. Let the scanners run for an hour or so in wx scan and see if they begin to pick up anything. don't set them near other electonics or each other while you do this.
OR
E) The answer to one of your posts in the Kentucky forum indicate that the frequencies you are trying to pick up (other than wx) are digital P25 and the scanners you have listed here will not receive in that mode.

Last edited:

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
I have both scanners and they have been reinitialized and reset. They will not pick up anything in search or weather.
I have both of these scanners as well, but also newer models, and I don't recall if the Wx frequencies have to be programmed in to the PRO-92. I know they do in some models.

What you could do is simply go to channel 000, and manually program in the local Wx frequency. What do you get?

The post from scansalot52 is correct; the PRO-92 after sitting around for days might need to "warm up". I've seen several weird problems with this scanner from oxidizing connections between the circuit boards to it just needing to be powered before it starts to receive.

I've tried 3 antennas. I even programmed a bank for my county with freqs and tones. Is there something else I need to do to the scanner to set it up?
What concerns me at the moment is that you are having trouble with two different scanners, which are quite different designs. I must wonder what the common denominator is.

In order to pick up something, all you need to do is program the frequency and that's it. Don't program any tones (they only LIMIT what you pick up) and set the mode to FM. If you're trying to monitor a TRS, put in the active control channel frequency, set the mode to FM and sit on that channel in MAN mode. Do you hear "data"? If not, no other programming is going to help. If so, then proceed.

rainmanky

Premium Subscriber
I have both of these scanners as well, but also newer models, and I don't recall if the Wx frequencies have to be programmed in to the PRO-92. I know they do in some models.

What you could do is simply go to channel 000, and manually program in the local Wx frequency. What do you get?

The post from scansalot52 is correct; the PRO-92 after sitting around for days might need to "warm up". I've seen several weird problems with this scanner from oxidizing connections between the circuit boards to it just needing to be powered before it starts to receive.

What concerns me at the moment is that you are having trouble with two different scanners, which are quite different designs. I must wonder what the common denominator is.

In order to pick up something, all you need to do is program the frequency and that's it. Don't program any tones (they only LIMIT what you pick up) and set the mode to FM. If you're trying to monitor a TRS, put in the active control channel frequency, set the mode to FM and sit on that channel in MAN mode. Do you hear "data"? If not, no other programming is going to help. If so, then proceed.

I purchased both scanners from eBay. I opened them up and the antenna lead was disconnected from the board on BOTH scanners. I've been hearing that these scanners have that problem.

I've also purchased a NEW PRO-97. Should have it soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.