Pro 93 Scanning, Trunking on SAFE-T

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazykidsdad

Premium Subscriber
Hello all -

I have searched the forums and cannot seem to have any luck. I have a RS Pro -93 system and recently dug it out to use again. I noticed that my state now uses the SAFE-T system,

Indiana Project Hoosier SAFE-T Trunking System, Statewide, Multi-State - Scanner Frequencies

I thought I programmed all the frequencies in appropriately under the Motorola system for the scanner, but cannot hear any voice traffic. All I hear is a "key up" noise, or pager noise.

Can my scanner not hear these frequencies? I have some 1xx.xxxx frequencies programmed, and those work fine.

Thanks.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
That system uses APCO-25 Common Air Interface which requires a digital scanner to decode.

You may hear analog talk groups with an "A" Analog in the mode column.

You will not hear "D" Digital or "E" Encrypted.

The Pro-93 does not decode digital nor does it support rebanding which this system is also completing.

Last edited:

crazykidsdad

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for your quick reply, do you have any recommendations on an inexpensive digital scanner that is easy to program?

detroit780

Silent Key
Database Admin
Digital Scanner

Any of the scanners on the following links that say P25
Uniden Scanners - The RadioReference Wiki
Radio Shack Scanners - The RadioReference Wiki
GRE Radios - The RadioReference Wiki

As far as price is concerned you can find the Radio Shack versions of the GRE scanners on sale for as little as $300, they have been $250 or less during some holidays. The rest are $400 to $500.

You also might ask the question in the Indiana Forum to see what radio works better on the system if any.

Thanks for your quick reply, do you have any recommendations on an inexpensive digital scanner that is easy to program?

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
The Pro-93 does not decode digital nor does it support rebanding which this system is also completing.

Not entirely true about its ability to support rebanding. Pro 93 and pro 95 will not fully support a rebanded system if, and only if the following conditions are present..

@ crazykidsdad

What sites freqs did you enter? I ask because even tho its a p25 and analog system, The system was also rebanded and there's a catch listening to a rebanded system with a pro 93 and a pro 95.

Some scanners that could not be updated or flashed can still continue to track a trunked rebanded system, but you will not "hear" all the frequencies depending on the following. The frequencies that cannot be received by legacy trunk-tracking scanners while in trunking mode are those frequencies that start with 851, 852, 853, and have a "0" (zero) in the fourth decimal place. If the re-banded system or site does not have any of these frequencies in the frequency pool, legacy scanners will be unaffected in their trunking ability and will work perfectly fine.

Just from a quick look at this system, many of the control channels have a 0 in the fourth spot. You won’t be able to track those sites at all. If the site you programmed does not have control channels with 0 in the fourth spot, you can track the system, but will not hear any activity on the voice channels with that 0 in the fourth spot..

002 (2) Pendleton Madison has 2 control channels with a 0 in the fourth spot 868.40000 & 868.87500

003 (3) Putnamville Putnam has 2 control channels with a 0 in the fourth spot 868.42500 & 868.92500

But like W8RMH pointed out, this is a mixed system. You could get much of the analog but there is a ton of digital. If most of what you want to listen to is digital, the pro 93 will be of no use.

I have a pro 95 and a 93 and use my 93 as a back up on a rebanded police trs in my area. It receives most traffic on the system due to the 0 in the 4th spot in some voice channels. There are rebanded systems in areas I travel that these scanners follow perfectly fine so for now I will use them as spares.

Last edited:

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
As per the page,
Indiana Project Hoosier SAFE-T is scheduled to begin the rebanding process in 4th Quarter of 2011 and conclude by 2nd Quarter of 2012. This process involves shifting frequencies in the 866.0125-868.9875 Mhz band to the 851.0125-853.9875 Mhz band. Frequencies in the 860.0125-860.9875 Mhz band will be replaced by new frequencies as assigned by the FCC.

The database has been updated to include the new rebanded frequencies for each site using the standard 15Mhz shift for most frequencies. Additonally, sites have been updated where current FCC records indicate new frequency assignments in the "YE" service class.

As sites are confirmed as rebanded, the database will be updated to remove the 866-868.xxxx Mhz frequencies, and will also be updated with new control channel assignments (main and alternate).

Rebanded or not, many of the control channels and voice channels listed are 851, 852, 853, and have a "0" in the fourth decimal place.

So crazykidsdad, what freqs did you actually program into the pro 93?

W9NES

Pro-93 is not Digital.The Pro-93 is analog only and will not work picking up safe-t. The pro-93 will pick up the analog channels on safe-t but no digital talkgroups. In order to hear safe-t you will need to buy a scanner that is digital from Uniden.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Pro-93 is not Digital.The Pro-93 is analog only and will not work picking up safe-t.

We know the pro 93 is not digital. The system is an Analog and APCO-25 Common Air Interface.

So if any of the freqs he entered do not begin with 851 852 and 853, and contain a 0 in the 4th decimal spot, the scanner will track all analog. It will not track digital nor use any 851,852 or 853 freq with a 0 in th 4th decimal spot..

Its not impossible to pick up the system. Just may have limitations other than the digital talk groups. If what he is listening to is analog, he should be ok..

I have a pro 93 and 95 and follow the same type of system here where I live. Analog and APCO-25 Common Air Interface. I get 80 percent of the traffic because a few voice channels have a 0 in the 4th spot and the scanner ignores those channels. ie:853.5250 But again, not impossible to hear activity on it. Its used as my back up scanner.

The pro-93 will pick up the analog channels on safe-t but no digital talkgroups.

First you say the scanner is analog and wont pick up safe t, now here you say he will only get analog.

In order to hear safe-t you will need to buy a scanner that is digital from Uniden.

Just Uniden? A Gre or R/S digital scanner wont work?

Michael-SATX

btw ~ crazykidsdad, you might want to use Don Starr's WIN93 scanner programming software
at starrsoft . com . This program is GREat and it's free and you can also enter out of band freqs
like 225 ~ 400 Mhz Mil-Air freqs come to mind and others that you can't enter via the scanners
keypad, the scanners onboard processor won't let you do, so give WIN93 and a PC cable a try !
Nothing helps bQQst the old learning curve like ALSO seeing everything all laid out on the PC screen ;)
Lastly, maybe your old Pro-93 will help you re-ignite you scanner hobby and having you ask Santa
for a new digital scanner in your near future. Many folks grab an RS Pro-106/197 when on sale for $299 !

W9NES

I would recomend a Uniden 396XT. Stay away from the Radio Shack Pro-106/197 as they are hard to program if you do not understand how to program them.Also Radio Shack will not longer program scanners for their customers.

scannerfreak

Database Admin
The RS 106/197 are no harder to program than any other scanner. With software it's fairly easy.

Michael-SATX

Well said scannerfreak !!! PS ~ I remember the OP mentioned wanting an inexpensive scanner
and with software, cable and some help from folks here on RR he will be good to go ~ be positive ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.