PRO-94 Batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.

drguitarum2005

Premium Subscriber
I know the Pro-94 can take Ni-MH batteries and can use a 9v 300MA charger but using that (with the switch on NiCd) can the radio act as a charger for these batteries? If so, that would temporarily save me from having to buy a charger while I'm a poor college kid! Thanks yall.

KC5EIB

Feed Provider
I know the Pro-94 can take Ni-MH batteries and can use a 9v 300MA charger but using that (with the switch on NiCd) can the radio act as a charger for these batteries? If so, that would temporarily save me from having to buy a charger while I'm a poor college kid! Thanks yall.

Yes, they will charge just fine in the radio. .

There are some of us that only charge these batteries in the radio and have not had any problems.
There are some of us that use to charge these batteries in the radio and have had melt downs and will never charge them in the radio again.
There are some of us that only charge these batteries outside the radio.

There is no one correct or incorrect way of doing it.

N1BHH

Charging batteries in the scanner as it is operating will degrade the ability of the battery to properly hold a solid charge and battery life. I suggest getting a few sets of batteries for your scanner. I have 4, so when one dies, I can swap out to a fresh set and charge externally the dead set.

Get a decent charger, I bought my first few sets of RayOVac NiMH batteries and charger 10 years ago, but the batteries have all become worn out, you would after several hundred charge cycles. My hand held scanners are powered up nearly all my waking hours. I have newer sets that I have picked up over time and they are still going strong.

As for choice of brands, that really doesn't matter, what does matter is the current rating. If you can find 2650 miliamp/hour rate (or higher) batteries they will have longer battery life. They also require a slightly longer charge time, but that's to be expected.

Status
Not open for further replies.