pro-94 questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

whitesox4life

I am starting this thread because I am seeing alot of questions pop up for the RS pro-94. I have one as well. Is it possible for this scanner to do a "fire tone-out" type deal? I dont like having to keep my pager on all the time and am hoping it does.

Scanner with fire tone-out

It is expensive, But the new Uniden BCT396D portable has fire tone-out capabilities, and is actually about $530 which is as much as a 2 channel minitor 5 with all the bells and whistles, so it's actually a good deal.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
The BR330T & the BCT-15 also do fire tone out, for about $250 less than a 396 (as long as digital for another system is not needed)

Jerold

Jerold

KCChiefs9690 said:
No, it does not have the capability.
I am just getting started in this. I have a new pro 94 as well am wondering if i bought the best scanner for my area. I live in polk county basically everyone works of one repeater.Should I be looking at a diff. scanner ?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
In what state? What are your interests? Whether you need another scanner depends largely on if your area uses digital or analog trunking (some aren't using trunking at alll)...and what you are interested in hearing.

Start by checking your area in the database. 73s Mike

Jerold

I just bought a pro 94. I Live way out in the country I just found out that just about everyone works off basically one repeater. The closest trunked repeaters are about 75 miles away. I'm working off a modified long wire antenna , sometimes I can receive weak trunked signals from Houston. Should I be looking at a diff scanner or a better antenna set up. Please excuse my ignorance, I really like the hobby and would like to learn more about it. Is there a forum I can monitor and learn without asking ignorant questions?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
There no ignorant questions, just insufficient responses :.>>

However, since you mention Houston, I'm going to assume you're a Texan.

First Stop - the database. Go up to the blue toolbar and click on that word. Then find Houston, and the county/nearest large city besides Houston, and work from there.

Next Stop - the Texas forum on this board. 'Nuff said.

Next Stop - The HouScan Yahoo group at:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/HoustonScan/

Next Stop - Finding websites other than RR with more frequency information, such as:

http://home.houston.rr.com/freqzone

http://www.houscan.com/

You didn't say what you were interested in hearing, but no doubt all of this will give you some clues as to what might be in your area.

A longwire won't work on freqs this high very well - you will need a scanner antenna, and the proper coax along with it. A handheld is nice, but it's probably better as a portable or in the car (with the right antenna); a base unit will do a much better job (along with the right antenna), but your options there are somewhat limited (and more expensive) if you want to decode the digital systems that are coming online across the country. We have a Wiki page on antennas that outlines the many manufacturers and types mentioned in the past (you can get to that simply by pressing 'Antennas' in the Wiki Categories frame on the left frame of the main page).

I'd start by doing a thorough review of the freqs used in your county and city area and proceed from there. That will give you a firm place from which to decide what equipment you will need to hear it. 73s Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.