Pro 95 and P25

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobo624

Hello everyone. I live in buffalo ny and according to the database the police now use p25, I don't know what this is,but besides that all I hear is digital noise now. Is it possible to use the pro95 to listen to these frequencies or do I need to buy a new scanner?
Thanks

bob550

Premium Subscriber
Hello everyone. I live in buffalo ny and according to the database the police now use p25, I don't know what this is,but besides that all I hear is digital noise now. Is it possible to use the pro95 to listen to these frequencies or do I need to buy a new scanner?
Thanks

Well, if you enjoy listening to digital noise, then your Pro-95 is fine. :) However, in the event you'd really like to hear the actual communications, then you'd need a scanner capable of receiving and decoding the P25 digital transmissions. It appears that Whistler, who bought the scanner production from GRE (who produced your Pro-95 for RadioShack), is now offering both a handheld and desktop digital model. Either is available on the RadioShack website for a price of (GULP!) $599.

n4yek

You can if you use a computer with your scanner.
Install a discriminator tap into the scanner and download a free program called DSD Plus that will decode P25.

Discriminator Tap
http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Pro_93/95/96_Tap
Discriminator tap location: TP4
I attached a 10k Ohm resistor to TP4 and a wire to the resistor. Also installed a 1/8 audio jack in the case where I attached the wire.
There is plenty of room to install a 1/8 jack in the back case.

DSD Plus
http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/DSDPlus
Scroll down to the bottom of the page where it says Windows Binary Download also pay attention to the 2 Notes on the page. It tells you where to get the Lame_enc.dll you also need to use DSD Plus. You put that into the DSD Plus folder to be used by the program.

It have done this to my Pro 95 and it works great.

Last edited:

Bobo624

Thanks for the quick responses.
One more question i searched P25 Scanner on Ebay and a few unidens come up with 'P25 Cards installed" would these work?

bob550

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the quick responses.
One more question i searched P25 Scanner on Ebay and a few unidens come up with 'P25 Cards installed" would these work?

If you're willing to go the ebay route, there's probably many digital scanners to choose from at prices much cheaper than new. You'll probably find a bunch of somewhat newer Uniden models as people are upgrading to the recently released 436/536 units. Perhaps you could provide us with a link to the specific item you're referencing, and we can check it out.

Nasby

Bobo. There are several good digital scanners listed for sale here at reasonable prices in the classified forums.

I would go that route before Ebay.

Status
Not open for further replies.