Pro-95 - Data Cable necessary?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mastrine

??? IS IT NECESSARY to get the Data Cable for $38 from Radio Shack to use my Laptop to program it?

I am a techno "easier way of doing it" kind of guy - I don't like tedious thumb driven texting... I can imagine the task would be a pain if I didn't have it.

Does the 20-047 cable/CD work well from Radio Shack for their Pro-95 scanner?

Is there a better place to LOOK for one to buy, even used?

Thank You -

fineshot1

i have a pro95 and did not buy my cable from rs - i made the purchase on ebay and it was less than $10 with shipping. the programing software is a free download on the net and works well and is easy to use and does make it much easier & quicker however - the pro95 is not difficult to program via the keypad but does take quite awhile if you are entering a lot of talk groups with text tags so i would go with the cable & software.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
PRO-95 cable

The exact cable you need, or can use, depends on your computer. If your computer has the older style "COM" ports, you can use an older/cheaper cable. If your computer only has USB ports, then you need the USB style cable to program the scanner from the computer.

I'd say that $38 is way too much to pay for the cable. I'd expect to pay as much as $25 for the USB version, but you can find it for less if you are patient. Do some searching here, or post a message in the "wanted" section and see what you find.

You'll want to go to www.starrsoft.com and download WIN95 to program the scanner. It is freeware. You could even DL the software and type in what you want programmed while you are waiting for the cable. Then when it gets there you'll be ready to go.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.