Pro 95 - Power Adapter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luis_C

Hey guys, I have the Pro-95, and it needs a Power Adapter rated 9VDC - 300 mA, but I have one here of 6VDC - 800 mA, Radio Shack one, and I saw that it says, 6VDC when running with batteries, so I tried it, and for my surprise it worked, but do you think that it could do some kind of damage in the long run?

Chris0381

What I remeber is it needs the proper voltage not to do damage in the long run and can be slightly higher in amperage but not lower amperage.

Let me refere you to this discussion. I believe a supply can be 1.3 Amps (NOT mA actually full amps) higher but the voltage should be the same. I just bought a pro-2018 without a power supply and am using a 12v 800 mA supply and the scanner calls for 12 V 300mA.

http://sound-on-sound2.infopop.net/2/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=215094572&f=884099644&m=698108482

Correct me if Im wrong..

Last edited:

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
True, you can use on with a higher current rate, but the voltage must be the same and be the same polarity at the tip. If the voltage is too high or the incorrect polarity, it could damage the radio, or the power protection circuit diode at the internal power jack inside the radio.

Luis_C

DaveIN said:
True, you can use on with a higher current rate, but the voltage must be the same and be the same polarity at the tip. If the voltage is too high or the incorrect polarity, it could damage the radio, or the power protection circuit diode at the internal power jack inside the radio.

The polarity is alright, higher current rate accepted, but what about less voltage than what is needed?

Chris0381

Dont use a power supply that delivers less voltage than what is called for. It may work but could damage the radio in the long run due to a reason that electrical engineers know better than I but has something to do maybe with stressing the circuitry or maybe making certain components work harder (Im not 100% sure).

Luis_C

Chris0381 said:
Dont use a power supply that delivers less voltage than what is called for. It may work but could damage the radio in the long run due to a reason that electrical engineers know better than I but has something to do maybe with stressing the circuitry or maybe making certain components work harder (Im not 100% sure).

Alright, then I won't and I'll get the necessary adapter.

Chris0381

Do you have a radioshack that is closing its doors nearby. I just got a 12v 800mA supply for $4 at the RS here in Meriden,CT.

Luis_C

Chris0381 said:
Do you have a radioshack that is closing its doors nearby. I just got a 12v 800mA supply for $4 at the RS here in Meriden,CT.

Of the 2 Radio Shack that I have here none are closing, but I'm going to Tucson in about 1 - 2 weeks, and there's 2 closing, so with some luck I might be able to get it for more or less that. :)

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.