Pro 95 Scan Button problem...

Status
Not open for further replies.

LoKo498

I have my old scanner here & the scan button is not working. Any ideas on to to fix this problem?
I have it on the manual setting but last time I used the scan button, I remember I had to press very hard to make it work. It does not work now & I dont want to try to damage it any further.
Everything else is fine & working ok.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
PRO-95 keypad

The elastomer keypads in these scanners all wear out over time. I've replaced quite a few of them in all of the PRO-9x scanners. You can order the part from Radio Shack RSU and replace it yourself (it is not really a user serviceable part) or find someone to do it for you. I can but I am in California.

DonS

It might be tough to get the keypad for a PRO-95. The scanner was discontinued several years ago.

You might have better luck finding a PRO-95 (or PRO-93 - they use the same keypad) on eBay.

First, though you might want to see if the keypad has actually failed or if it's just "dirty". Carefully disassemble the scanner until you can remove the keypad from the front half of the chassis. This involves:
* remove battery cover and any installed batteries
* remove 4 screws on rear of chassis, remove rear part of chassis
* unplug brown 2-pin connector from top board below squelch pot
* carefully separate the two printed circuit boards (the "knobs" will come out with the top board). The boards are joined by three connectors - one below the PC/IF jack and one directly opposite, plus one below the antenna BNC - and should separate easily with some careful wiggling/pulling.
* remove 5 screws holding full-length board to front part of chassis (3 "gold" within green part of board, 2 black at bottom)
* when you remove (carefully, since the speaker wire will still be connected!) the board from the front part of the chassis, a couple of things will happen:
1. you'll see the "rubber" keypad
2. the LCD and the "light conductor" for the backlight will move around

(All of the above is required just to get to the keypad, whether you repair or replace it).

To fix the existing keypad, you can try:
* gently clean the 30 gold contacts on the circuit board. I've successfully used a cotton swab and 70% rubbing alcohol
* gently clean the 30 mating carbon "nubs" on the rubber keypad in the same way

Reassembly is merely the reverse of the above. The only part that's tricky is getting the LCD and its backlight "conductor" aligned correctly. The white face of that conductor goes toward the circuit board, with the two non-white "holes" aligned with the two LEDs at the top edge of that board.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
DonS thats really neat of you knowing what to do with that problem, I have a pro43 that I would l;ike to get repaired but its about shot, someone had the same pro43 problem and they suggested some chemical to get from a supplier , maybe he will see this and advise me, unless you think you could fix it way out there in beautifull califorma,I was stationed at el toro mcas in the 50s, now its closed tnx Bob

LoKo498

Damn thanks alot DonS for all that!!!
Also thank you tonyclark for the exact part.
I will def try to take it apart & clean & repair it that way first, is that dont work, I will order the keytop for the Pro 95 or for the Pro 93.
I dont need it anymore but want to fix it so I can sell it. Just ordered a Pro 106, should be here Monday!!!

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Pro-95

DonS, while this scanner has been out of production/sales for some time, I was able to purchase these parts just a few months ago.

LoKo498 there is no soldering required. But you will need to be careful, especially with the LCD ribbon, when working on this scanner.

Status
Not open for further replies.