Pro-95 Scanner problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MXER

I think I have a problem but I am not sure. But I can't get anything on FM mode what so ever. I mean NOTHING picks up when I tune. And if I do find something, It's in and out with static. While I hear the in and out with static in FM mode, I switch it over to AM mode and I can normally hear things pretty clearly. Like in the RRdatabase for my area it says for a certain frequency the mode is FM. Well almost all the time AM works a heck of a whole lot better than FM. Normally on FM mode you don't hear a thing its just static. I can switch it over to AM and pick it up normally just fine. I find it odd that stuff just doesn't come in with FM mode. Could somebody explain?

N8IAA

What area are you trying to program?? Conventional frequencies?? Trunked frequencies?? We can help if you let us know:)
Larry

SCPD

QRT
99% of anything on a scanner wil be in FM. except 118-136 Aircraft band & 225-400mhz MIlair

MXER

I live in Elmore, Alabama. The usual frequencies Police/fire and such. All of the citys in my county as well as the county I use. You said 99% will be in FM mode? I hardly don't get anything in FM mode.

SCPD

QRT
I live in Elmore, Alabama. The usual frequencies Police/fire and such. All of the citys in my county as well as the county I use. You said 99% will be in FM mode? I hardly don't get anything in FM mode.

check ur antenna.... thats not good & I am in Montgomery,come to the Alabama Forum :)

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
PRO-95 AM only

When you are stopped on a frequency, are you saying that ONLY AM mode works? What do you hear when selecting other modes such as MO or ED? If only AM mode is working, it sounds to me like a defective discriminator circuit. Has this scanner been modified to have a discriminator tap?

SAR923

Can you pick un the weather (162.400) from Montgomery? If not, you have a serious problem. either the antenna connection is bad or there's some other problem like the discriminator circuit.

MXER

gmclam, That is correct. When I am stopped on a frequency that should be rated for FM mode I hear static in and out. If I switch it over to AM it will normally come through just fine. Although, I'm missing frequencys it feels due to nothing picking up in TUNE while in FM mode. SAR2401 I can barely pick up 162.400 in FM mode. If I switch it over to AM mode on the 162.400 frequency I can somewhat hear the Weather radio. (I tried walking around to get a better reception but there was no improvement.) Today on AM mode I picked up the Woodville Fire station in Jackson County, Alabama at 153.83750. This is 200+ Miles from where I live!!! I can't even pick up my Local fire station right down the road. And I've used the freq from this site and from the fire station!!! Any more input is gladly appreciated!

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
The issue is not "reception"; the issue is being able to extract the audio from the carrier. I suspect that you see the lightning bolt on the display during a present signal even if you can't hear it. You can't hear it because the circuit to demodulate the FM signal has a problem.

Earlier I was thinking it might be a signal from the CPU, but the fact the audio changes when you switch from AM to FM tells me it is working.

If you decide to sell this scanner as is, let me know. I'm looking for some PRO-93 & PRO-95 parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.