PRO 95 volume distortion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Para078

I've got a serious volume distortion problem with my PRO 95. It started on UHF and 800mhz and now it's total across the spectrum. I've sent it in twice. First time they replaced the volume control, second time they said it was OK. I checked the antenna connection and it is secure. Even does it with an external speaker.

Anyone got an idea what to tell them to look for when it goes back the third time?

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
I am not sure I understand your problem. If you are unable to turn the volume up without distortion, it could be a power supply issue (batteries?) or the audio amplifier (IC) itself.

Para078

At all volume levels the sound crackles like there is a loose connection. Almost sounds like the speaker is bad, but it does it with an external speaker.

pro92b

Mutated Member
Premium Subscriber
Maybe the radio drifted off frequency. Pick a local station on a busy channel and program the radio 5 kHz above the station's transmitting frequency. Is the audio better or worse? If worse try 5 kHz below the station's transmitting frequency. If tuning the radio off frequency produces better audio, the radio needs to be aligned.

Para078

No matter where it is or what type of power I use it sounds crappy. As the radio warms up it gets worse.I'm going to try the off frequency thing and if that doesn't work it goes back for number three.

I liked the old days when you sent something in and it was fixed. I don't know how they miss something as obvious as this is.

scansalot52

The old days were full of multiple repairs on the same unit for the same problem as well, so that's not new. ( I know, its always worse when its yours.) Some ideas to help:

1.Demonstrate and duplicate the problem to the store manager or clerk that writes up the repair ticket, They might word the symptoms differently which might make the tech look further You could even use your computer to record a CD of the audio and send it along this time. It may not be as obvious to them as it is you.

2. Be sure they write on the repair that the unit needs to warm up x minutes before the problem appears.

3.Suggest (insist nicely) that they send it to a different repair center, namely the Fort Worth one. If your store says they don't wan't to pay again for sending it to different center, (kindly) suggest they contact the District Manager who can assist them with transfering charges.

4.Don't degrade anyone or anything about the process (more flies with honey, etc.) while trying to get this resolved.

5.Lastly, remember the store doesn't want to deal with an unresoved complaint any more than you do.
They want to see you because you're happy and want to spend more money. They are probably just as frustrated as you because you may not be their only customer with an unresolved repair issue at this moment.

Para078

It's back in again. I let the clerk hear it and he agrees it ain't right. He highlighted the problem on the repair ticket and was going to add a note to go with it. I'm only 60 miles from Ft. Worth, so that should be where it goes. I'm going to check on it this week and if I get the run around I might just suggest they replace it under the Texas Lemon Law.

Status
Not open for further replies.