Pro-95 volume switch part# 10983344

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajamesm

Member
Joined
Mar 8, 2005
Messages
4
I have a Radio Shack Pro-95 that I need a new switch for. The part number is 10983344. I have seen threads about this part discussed and they all say that it is available from Radio Shack, but they are all old threads and Radio Shack doesn't have it anymore. The scanner is otherwise in like new condition and I would really hate to throw it away over a simple switch. My question is: Does anyone know where to buy one other than from Radio Shack? One would think that with so many different models using this same part they would have it, but I talked to people at 2 different stores, called the company's website phone number, and emailed hoping to get someone who knew where to get it. No luck, so I would appreciate any help anyone could give me where to buy one.
 

fineshot1

Member
Joined
Sep 17, 2004
Messages
2,479
Location
NJ USA (Republic of NJ)
Thats the same part number for the Vol/ON-OFF Switch for a Pro96 so how can it not be in stock anymore? This is how its listed below.

Reference # Cat.No. Description NP Part #
VR5 SW1 10983344 POT ASSY,W/SWITCH VOLUME PC0019

If I wwere you I'd get on the toll free phone numb to RS and not take NO for an answer until you get someone that knows what they are doing.
 

ajamesm

Member
Joined
Mar 8, 2005
Messages
4
fineshot1 said:
Thats the same part number for the Vol/ON-OFF Switch for a Pro96 so how can it not be in stock anymore? This is how its listed below.

Reference # Cat.No. Description NP Part #
VR5 SW1 10983344 POT ASSY,W/SWITCH VOLUME PC0019

If I wwere you I'd get on the toll free phone numb to RS and not take NO for an answer until you get someone that knows what they are doing.

I know it is the same as the Pro-96, thats what makes it so unbelieveable that they do not carry it. I think it is also the same part as is in several other models. I did a search and even the old ones like the Pro-74(I think) is the same. They should have it, but they don't. I did call them one more time since you posted the reply and the same, no matter who I talk to they say they don't have it and can't get it. If you call the repair center, the computer menu always takes you back to the sales guy on the phone who says they can't get it. Very poor customer service. I picked this scanner up new in Fort Worth at the outlet store for $90 when they were selling for $200 and I haven't used it much since I bought it. I guess if I can't get a $10 part to fix it then it wasn't such a good deal afterall. Thanks for the help, but if I can't get it from someone other than Radio Shack, then I guess I won't be able to get it. I did just email GRE who manufactured it to see if they could come up with one for me, so we'll see what happens when they respond.

Thanks Again.
 

fineshot1

Member
Joined
Sep 17, 2004
Messages
2,479
Location
NJ USA (Republic of NJ)
No problem & hope you find something to help resolve the problem. Good luck and if you resolve this problem please keep us updated in this thread....

PS - Another alternative is to put out want adds for dead portables(that have the same part) and hope you come up with something cheap.
 

gmclam

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Sep 15, 2006
Messages
5,380
Location
Fair Oaks, CA
I've found that while several different models of scanners use the same component, they often do not use the same RS (replacement) part number. Have you actually tried to order this component using the PRO-96 part number?
 

n2mdk

Member
Joined
Jul 27, 2007
Messages
2,441
Location
Ames, IA
Seems you can't order parts over the phone anymore, you must go into a store and have the use Radio Shack Unlimited/RSU. You might have to find the store manager to get them to do this.
 

ajamesm

Member
Joined
Mar 8, 2005
Messages
4
gmclam said:
I've found that while several different models of scanners use the same component, they often do not use the same RS (replacement) part number. Have you actually tried to order this component using the PRO-96 part number?

The part number on both the pro-95 and the pro-96 are exactly the same, as it is in other radioshack handheld models. Any other ideas on how to get one, other than buying a parts unit(which I might end up doing, but I would rather just have a New swicth)?

Thanks
 

gmclam

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Sep 15, 2006
Messages
5,380
Location
Fair Oaks, CA
PRO-95/PRO-96 Volume potentiometer w/ switch

ajamesm said:
The part number on both the pro-95 and the pro-96 are exactly the same, as it is in other radioshack handheld models. Any other ideas on how to get one, other than buying a parts unit(which I might end up doing, but I would rather just have a New swicth)?
When I check the service manual for the PRO-96 it lists 2 possible part numbers for the volume pot. Keep in mind that GRE does not make these pots, they simply purchase them and assign their own numbers to them. I imagine there are numbers physically on the pot, and you could search places like Mouser or Digi-Key and find them.

The part numbers I show are:
RK0971110-10KB-10
or
RV0915N-10KQA1-B10K-A-705D(GP128)

I also see the 10983344 number you've posted. It seems like this is the GRE part number and the other 2 are manufacturer's numbers.
 

ajamesm

Member
Joined
Mar 8, 2005
Messages
4
gmclam said:
When I check the service manual for the PRO-96 it lists 2 possible part numbers for the volume pot. Keep in mind that GRE does not make these pots, they simply purchase them and assign their own numbers to them. I imagine there are numbers physically on the pot, and you could search places like Mouser or Digi-Key and find them.

The part numbers I show are:
RK0971110-10KB-10
or
RV0915N-10KQA1-B10K-A-705D(GP128)

I also see the 10983344 number you've posted. It seems like this is the GRE part number and the other 2 are manufacturer's numbers.

On the Pot itself it has printed "A50K". If you type "A50K" into Mouser's website you get over 30 results in the potentiometer category. I don't really know enough about these to find the correct one, although it would be easy to change! It's kind've like a mechanic vs a parts changer. I can change the part on this, but don't know anything about what makes it work or which to buy( wish it was a car, that I know). I didn't find any other numbers on the pot, if there are any others, they are between the pot and the circuit board. I found only one listing that was similar to your part numbers, but the number was 688-RK097110F-B103. Do you have any ideas on the right one?

Thanks again,
Aaron
 

gmclam

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Sep 15, 2006
Messages
5,380
Location
Fair Oaks, CA
50K potentiometer with switch

Fortunately, potentiometers are not one of the more complex components to deal with. First you have the mechanical issues - the physical size of the part, the spacing between the connections and the length of the shaft are the most significant things to consider. Electrically, any "50K" pot will work; but they do typically come in two variations - linear taper or audio taper. I don't see anything to clarify which is used here; my guess is audio taper since it is being used as a volume control.

I have the service manual for the PRO-96 and most, but not all, info on the PRO-95 (including a schematic). I see that the parts are the same for both scanners. The numbers I posted yesterday appear to be manufacturer's numbers, while the number you posted as part of this thread topic is the GRE number.

If you've got a 50K pot that will fit in there it will work. The other issue is the switch. Obviously you need a N.O. (normally open) SPST switch which closes once the pot is turned from its far CCW position. I believe the manufacturer's part number has to somehow reflect that as there are other variations. Fortunately what you need is the most common.

I've got a dis-assembled PRO-93 here that I'll have to take a look at later and see if I can help further. I don't understand why we can't either get the parts from GRE or have them tell us the original manufacturer of the part.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top