Pro-95-Win95 Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonya

Premium Subscriber
I gave a freind a pro 95 along with a programing cable that was collecting dust at my house. Im not sure what brand the cable is. It came with the pro96 I bought on Ebay. There was no disc with it but we checked in the device mgr. and the cable was working. I'm trying to help hinn over the phone. He is new to scanning but good with computers. I told hin just to try different configs in win95. It keeps getting timed out. Its a older Dell running XP Any other suggestions.
Is there a proper sequence with power on or off or the cable in or out?

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Pro-95 & win95

The PRO-95 can work with either the COM version cable or the USB version cable. Since you indicated that "device manager indicated the cable was working", that leads me to believe you are trying to use a USB cable.

Control Panel -> System -> Hardware -> Device Manager -> Ports will indicate which COM port the cable is assigned. Go to configuration -> serial port in WIN95 and set that to the same port.

Note that you do NOT need the short little adapter cable that comes with the USB cable for the PRO-95.

tonya

Premium Subscriber
Thanks

Thanks for the response. I'm fairly certain that we have the right port set up but were getting the looking for header then timed out message. Doing this over the phone with someone new to the hobby is a little hard. I'm going to see my friend on sat. If all else fails and I can't get it configured I was going to intsall the RS disc that came with my 26-183 cable I bought years ago unless someone here tells me that is a bad idea

Michael-SATX

RS 20-289 Gray (mono) Older Serial programming cable for Pro-92,93,94,95,96,97 etc.
RS 20-048 Black (stereo) Way way older Serial Programming cable for Pro-82, 2018 (older GRE's ).
RS 20-047 Clear (Both) Current USB programming cable stereo (with older mono adapter included).

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
If all else fails and I can't get it configured I was going to intsall the RS disc that came with my 26-183 cable I bought years ago unless someone here tells me that is a bad idea
I wouldn't try just "any cable" unless you know it is compatible.

As far as the messages you get are concerned, there are several settings in WIN95 that could affect this. There are a lot of variables between your computer, its speed, what other software is running on your system, etc. When I use WIN95 with cable 20-047 (USB version), I do NOT use the adapter on the cable, and I have the settings NO extra write time (unchecked), DO NOT set RTS high (unchecked), ENABLE readback tests (checked). But try different combinations to find what works for you. You may be able to program, but not read back from the scanner (I'd consider that not working).

Status
Not open for further replies.