Pro 95 with ISP Starcom Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys. I have had my Pro95 for over a year know and I really like it. I recently moved down to ISP Disrtict 11 Collinsville and would realy love to be able to pick up all D11's traffic since this area is so busy. Does anyone have any helpful and easy ways to tell me about as to allow me to program ISP into my scanner. I have tried to talk with the radio guys down here and they talk way to fast and way over my head, the easier the instructions are the better.

I would also love to be able to program D9's in also for my father, he hasn't made the jump technology wise, so I was going to get him a scanner and pre-program it for him.

Seriously though, any help that you can give me about how to properly program in ISP's frequencies would be very helpfull. Thanks.

Whitley
anotherscannerfan
rwhitle@hotmail.com

cubn

Database Admin
You're not going to be able to hear ISP on Starcom21 without a digital scanner. Digital scanners cost around $500 new. The Pro95 isn't capable of decoding digital signals such as Starcom21. Your scanner will still work fine for analog signals, but if you wish to hear the ISP, you'll have to invest in a digital scanner.

Thanks

Hey Cubn, thanks for the information. So I guess I need to go back to Radioshack and ***** to the guy about the scanner. He swore up and down that it had the ability to recieve the Starcom signals. Do you have any recomendations as to what scanner would be the best deal money wise? Any advice would be great. Thanks again!

Also, this Win95/96 program for analogs, were can I download it from for free if possible.

anotherscannerfan
rwhitle@hotmail.com

N9JIG

Sheriff
The question about what scanners will work with StarCom21 gets asked often. Here is a basic guide, each radio has other features and attributes that you will need to research to decide which is best for you. As for the PRO96 and BC296 I would not recommend them since they do not work on all StarCom21 sites. The PSR500 and BCD396T do work on all sites and have boatloads of other features that you may or not be interested in.

For handhelds you have the following choices:

Pro96 (Will work fine on 800 MHz. sites but will not track 700 MHz StarCom21 sites but after a quick software mod will monitor those channels in a non-trunked manner.)

BC296D (Will work fine with 800 MHz. sites, will not work at all with 700 MHz. sites)

Uniden BCD396T (Will work fine with all StarCom21 sites)

GRE PSR500 (Will work fine with all StarCom21 sites)

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
Rich, you are the "best", you help all scanner hobbiests and your diligent hard work on the www.carmachicago.com Starcom site is fantastic and has made our monitoring of the new system a breeze....Great Work...

Ch1ronTL34

anotherscannerfan said:
Hey Cubn, thanks for the information. So I guess I need to go back to Radioshack and ***** to the guy about the scanner. He swore up and down that it had the ability to recieve the Starcom signals. Do you have any recomendations as to what scanner would be the best deal money wise? Any advice would be great. Thanks again!

Also, this Win95/96 program for analogs, were can I download it from for free if possible.

anotherscannerfan
rwhitle@hotmail.com

Win96 is not freeware or shareware, so you will need to purchase a registration key to use it legally. That being said, I believe you get a 30-day free trial to use Win96...check out http://www.starrsoft.com

Buzzy4047

I am new to scanning, I have a Pro 164 Radio shack about two days ago, I read about a web site for this scanner. I got somethings out of it but still know were to get frg.s for the truck tacker. Can anyone help me out

downsrep

I was lost at first with my Pro-96 with Starcom 21. However, after reading up on it, I realized (except for the 700 mhz frequencies) it works well with it. Sometimes I get crossover where one district's transmission is heard on another's talkgroup. Best part is I can hear other districts where I couldn't hear them before because I was out of line of sight. Also, its easier to hear the officers transmissions AND the base, whereas before that was hard too.

In the Champaign area, I picked up Pontiac, which I can also pick up in Northern Illinois. Would never have been able to do that before.

As far as the scanner cost, I believe the Pro-96's are now going for about $399 now, about $100 less than what they used to be. Again, only bad part is does not pick up 700 mhz. However, since you're near St. Clair County which is 800 mhz, you should be okay.

downsrep

As far as the Radio Shack guy goes, well, some know their stuff, many don't. Not to diss them too badly, but I found that the ones in the smaller towns actually know more at times than the workers in the bigger urban Radio Shacks. One place in suburban Chicago I was practically reciting how to build the product I was looking for before I finally found it on the shelf myself, no thanks to the employees there. Service isn't what it used to be!

downsrep

Also, I love how it says in the manual that "your scanner comes preprogrammed." I have never had a scanner preprogrammed. I know they could probably do it there but I'd rather do it myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.