Pro-96/2096 DSP 1.3 Upgrade Available

Status
Not open for further replies.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
There is now a DSP upgrade (V 1.3) available on the RS Support Page (see the product page) but unlike the last one (Jan, 2004; V 1.2) there is no guide and no explanation as to what it might be fixing or improving.

Anyone out there got any good information on this?

jeffrey420

Yes, it would be nice to know what you are fixing or changing so a decision could be made on whether to upgrade or not.

I hope someone can weigh in here.

Bucko

Yes it would be nice to know but I just went ahead and did the update to my 96 & 2096 with no ill effects.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Ditto, I just applied it to my Pro-96. The local P25 trunked system sounds as sharp as ever, and I don't really notice anything else. Maybe it has something to do with the squelch hangtime on P25 conventional channels (where the squelch would hang open for 20 or 30 seconds at the end of a transmission). I don't have any conventional P25 channels near me to test it on, although I can usually pickup boarder patrol out of Michigan at night. I'll check it tonight and see.......

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
Forts said:
...Maybe it has something to do with the squelch hangtime on P25 conventional channels (where the squelch would hang open for 20 or 30 seconds at the end of a transmission)....
Hmm, maybe someone from the LA area might be able to comment on that.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
It will be of M U C H much value to those in Detroit, Monroe Co MI, Genesee Co MI, and some Arizona areas if that helps...

Bucko

I was just wondering why in the properties on this update it say's copy right 2003-2004 Don Starr, even the file name ends with starrsoft.com?

rdale

Premium Subscriber
jehm1212 said:
Is it possible to clone firmware from a 96 to a 2096 or does it have to be done from a computer?

No idea how you would...

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
Bucko said:
I was just wondering why in the properties on this update it say's copy right 2003-2004 Don Starr, even the file name ends with starrsoft.com?
Well, you thought to look, I sure didn't. Did you notice that the new one has the same internal version number as the 1.2 upgrade.

Now where is my old DOS file compare utilty...

rdale

Premium Subscriber
Bucko said:

As I recall he wrote the updating software, not sure that matters...

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
rdale said:
It will be of M U C H much value to those in Detroit, Monroe Co MI, Genesee Co MI, and some Arizona areas if that helps...

Why is that Rob?

Bucko

loumaag said:
Well, you thought to look, I sure didn't. Did you notice that the new one has the same internal version number as the 1.2 upgrade.

Now where is my old DOS file compare utilty...

Yep you are right, it says version 0.0.1.2. I didn't notice that the first time I looked.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
kc8syo said:
So does any body know the reason for the upgrade?
No fair...
That is my question.
----------------
Okay I did a file compare and quit looking at about 65,000 differences, so I guess the files are different. That doesn't answer the original question though.

jeffrey420

Hmmm, I guess I should do the update and see. I do have conv. P25 station here. It would be nice if they fixed that issue with the squelch. It is sure a pain on a busy night.

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
Whatever it does, all three of mine now have 1.3. Had to use the Dell for the 2096 in the car, but it (Dell) needed the battery topped off anyway and also upgraded Norton files - looks like Windows (XP) is upgrading also. Lou, thanks for the bird dog.

jeffrey420

Upgrade?

I have never done this before (upgrade). The directions in the manual don't exactly go with what I find on the website.

How do you do the upgrade?

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
jeffrey420 said:
I have never done this before (upgrade). The directions in the manual don't exactly go with what I find on the website.

How do you do the upgrade?
Attached is the instruction sheet that was with the 1.2 upgrade. I guess the process is the same, just the file name should be different.

Last edited:

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
rdale said:

Delaware County, Ohio is also a CQPSK simulcast system. I just applied the upgrade to my Pro-96 and audio quality does seem to be improved, especially from my location 20 miles away.

Tom WA8PYR

Status
Not open for further replies.