Pro-96/2096 DSP 1.3 Upgrade Available

Status
Not open for further replies.

abqscan

DataBase Administrator
I am also thinking there will be an upgrade coming soon... (and its not for 700MHz) =(

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
Think you missed the purpose of the thread here ;> The upgrade came out this week, improving P25 decoding (primarily CQPSK.)

abqscan

DataBase Administrator
rdale said:
Think you missed the purpose of the thread here ;>

Nope! The upgrade I am talking about involves sending the radios back to Ft. Worth :D But that wont happen for a couple of months...

mpdonala

Premium Subscriber
upgrade

I did the upgrade to both my Pro-96 and 2096 and have a great improvment in Colorado Springs. They almost keep up with my 996T. Mark

M

mpg0515

This upgrade seems to have affected the way my Pro-96 decodes transmissions from time to time. About every 10 or so transmissions the digital decoding just drops out and you hear it just like you would on an analog scanner..... Anyone else notice this?? I went back to 1.2, I could not notice any audio difference or signal strength differences anyway.....

scanlist

Scanning since the 70's to today.
It's not your imagination. I've noticed the instances of losing sync on the voice channels happening more often as well. Even with strong signals.

Phil.

M

mpg0515

scanlist said:
It's not your imagination. I've noticed the instances of losing sync on the voice channels happening more often as well. Even with strong signals.

Phil.

Thanks Phil.. I have loaded 1.2 back on the Pro-96 and it does not happen nearly as often now. There was always instances where this would happen every once in a while with 1.2, if you were in a bad area for example, but not nearly as bad as the 1.3.

SCPD

QRT
I haven't heard the dropping out yet. So far, I think there is quite an improvement on weaker signals.

M

mpg0515

logitec said:
I haven't heard the dropping out yet. So far, I think there is quite an improvement on weaker signals.

I would really like to hear from some more of the Colorado folks on here using 96/2096 and see if you are having the same issues. Not to say that Phil is not enough of a confirmation for me, I just like hearing other input on this. Thanks logitec for your response.

firescannerbob

Feed Provider
I just upgraded the Pro96 on my scanner feed, and the most obvious thing that I've noticed is that the audio sounds much "crisper". I have also upgraded my mobile Pro-96, but haven't had a chance to see what else the upgrade has done for the DTRS and the El Paso County system.

SCPD

QRT
WaveRunner said:
I am going back to 1.2 also, I keep getting drop offs also.

Yeah, I am having this too. It's not happening a lot, but it does seem to be more than before. I'm going to give it some more time. It may be doing it more on certain sites compared to others. I'm not sure yet, it's very intermittent.

SCPD

QRT
Others around the country have noticed this problem too, from the other forums, including on the LAPD conventional P25 channels. Too bad, because it does sound better when it is decoding.

Halfpint

Slightly NE of the People's Republic of Firestone
mpg0515 said:
This upgrade seems to have affected the way my Pro-96 decodes transmissions from time to time. About every 10 or so transmissions the digital decoding just drops out and you hear it just like you would on an analog scanner..... Anyone else notice this?? I went back to 1.2, I could not notice any audio difference or signal strength differences anyway.....
Well... So far I haven't noticed that much, approximately about the same as with V.1.2, of that particular problem here on the farm. However... When I went mobiling up in Greeley this last week with 1 PRO-96 with and 1 without the V.1.3 `upgrade' I noticed that the one with would `lose it' more often than the without. But... Neither one really seemed to have much of a pattern as to when and how they would do so.

Down here with one PRO-2096 with and one without, so far, they seem about equal. Switching them between one on an external speaker and one not, using a `jerry-rigged' A/B switch, and using a RS #42-2495 `Airline Headphone Adapter' with a pair of KOSS PRO-4As, I really haven't been able to notice all that much difference in sound between them and am begining to think that any `crispness' that might be heard with V.1.3 VS V.1.2 may be mainly psychological more than anything else. (SWMBO suggested that I might consider digging out my old Tektronix scope and the audio spectrum analyzer modules from the shop stuff we've got stored away if I *really* was interested in trying to find out, But quickly changed her mind when I asked just where she thought I'd be able to set it and it's cart up without making it harder to get around here. {GRIN!} Besides, I don't think that the differences would actually be great enough to be readily noticable to make the hassle worthwhile.)

Frankly, I am begining to feel that this `upgrade' might not be everyone's `cup-o-tea' and may not be all that necessary to install. *I* *may* keep it in the 2 radios I've done it to for a while longer but *I* am *not* going to `willy-nilly' go and `flash' all of my radios until I've had a while to decide *if* it really `adds' anything I may actually need. (This is *not* to say that I don't think that it works but rather I think it may work in particular circumstances and it doesn't, so far, appear that they are here in Colorado right now for me.) *If* there are any `improvements' for anyone else out there and you find they really make a difference then, sure, go ahead and `flash' you're radio(s). At least, if it *does* turn out that it really isn't all that worthwhile, you can still go back to at least V.1.2 fairly easily. I guess it's the old YMMV thing? {GRIN!}

rckydenver

Well, I went back to 1.2, I was getting a bunch of braaap sounds with the 1.3, with my other 96 with the 1.2 side by side nothing on that one. I did sound alittle 'crisper' as stated above. I guess the 1.3 works very well in Detroit...

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
Make sure you add those to the reports thread - I'd imagine the GRE people monitor that more than the CO forum...

firescannerbob

Feed Provider
I don't listen to too much DTRS traffic (pretty much just CSP District 2 and some DougCo fire traffic), but I haven't seen this "drop out" problem that others have described.
As for "crisper" audio...I have a pretty good ear for this, and as far as the El Paso system goes, there is a definite improvement.

Status
Not open for further replies.