Pro 96 AC Adapter.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrbigkilla

Got myself a pro-96 for $200 on craigslist and don't have an AC adapter, but have the car adapter. Anyway, can I just go to Walmart and buy a universal AC adapter or do I need to get one from RS? Any help would be appreciated and thanks in advance!

DickH

Got myself a pro-96 for $200 on craigslist and don't have an AC adapter, but have the car adapter. Anyway, can I just go to Walmart and buy a universal AC adapter or do I need to get one from RS? Any help would be appreciated and thanks in advance!

Yes, going toWalmart is a good idea, but don't buy an A/C adapter. Buy a charger and 2 sets of NiMH batteries. Always keep a charged set ready for a quick change.
Also, no danger of a problem inside the scanner. Look around this group. You will find almost everyone recommends the same thing.

mrbigkilla

Pro 96 AC Adapter

So, if I'm understanding correctly, I SHOULDN'T but an AC adapter? If not, why? I have tons of rechargeables, just wanted to eliminate batteries when I'm home. Please explain a little more.....

lowboy654

DB Admin Member
Database Admin
You know what here is a fact I have a Pro-96,97 and a GRE PSR-500 and about 12 more old handheld scanners with in view most are very old and they all have one thing in common they and I MEAN EVERYONE of them has been charged with the battery's installed and charged with a AC charger end of story and they still work.

Last edited:

DickH

You know what here is a fact I have a Pro-96,97 and a GRE PSR-500 and about 12 more old handheld scanners with in view most are very old and they all have one thing in common they and I MEAN EVERYONE of them has been charged with the battery's installed and charged with a AC charger end of story and they still work.

You have had good luck, but many of us have not. I have had the current limiting resistor in a BC245 burn up - literally.
All sorts of things can happen - voltage surges, other components shorting out, etc.
It's just a lot safer and easier, in my opinion, to use an external charger. Actually, I always have 5 sets of NiMH batteries with me. A set in my scanner and camera, a spare set in my pocket and 2 spare sets in my camera bag.
Also I no longer use standard NiMHs because of their self discharge characteristic. The new "hybrid" type that hold their charge for months are great, and you can get them at Walmart for the same price as the standard ones.

n2mdk

The OP didn't ask about charging the batteries, he asked about running the radio off of AC.
The answer to that is yes, you can go to Walmart get a universal charger make sure the tip fits correctly with proper polarity and the min 300mA. I personally would use it with the black battery case and charge any batteries externally.

rabidmoose57

Any good 9vdc, 300mA power supply will work with the right connector, as long as the polarity is correct.I found one at Big Lots for 5 bucks a while back. Works like a charm.

Status
Not open for further replies.