PRO-96 and Diamond RH77-CA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haley

I finally broke down and puchased a PRO 96 from RS(with a coupon , I paid $375, tax included), after looking at them for 5 years!. All I can say is WOW, maybe its just my location, but this thing picks up all kinds of stuff my BC246-T, PRO-92 , and even the Icom R-2 wont even break squelch on(although the 92 doesnt do too bad with the Diamond). Granted they all do better with the my Diamond RH77 on them, but this thing is picking up VHF PDS and FD from all over my state (Iowa). Are all 96s this sensitive? I have only had it 48 hours, but I am impressed! Just looking for anyones feedback positive or negative. Thanks Mike

Bucko

Graduation on your Pro96, I have had mine for around 3 years now and has done very well. Yes they have a pretty good receive but draw back is the selectivity is poor which is common for the latest GRE scanners. They have a problem of getting over loaded with pagers, FM radio stations etc. I use the Rad Shack 800mz duck mostly for I have more 800mz and UHF in my area, the Diamond for me lacks in that area compared.
You might want to go with Win96 and a USB cable to program your 96, it will make things a lot easier for you. Have fun and enjoy your new scanner.

Haley

Thanks for the reply. Just curious have you used the extended freq. program in WIN96? And if so , have you recieved anything ? I have been switching back and forth----trying to decide which is better (the 800MHz, or the Diamond), they of course both have their strengths and weakness though. I have a lot of EDACS in my area, so the 800MHz does do pretty well. WIN96 and the USB cable are next on my "to buy" list! Thanks, Mike

Bucko

Yes I have the extended freq enabled. The UHF AERO band on both 2096's and 96 hear just fair up to about 250mz then after that they are weak till you get back up toward the 380mz or so. Even at the 240/ 250mz range they need hearing aids compared to my other scanners capable of that range. The 96 hears pretty well on the 774mz ( MRE freq for OSP).

Haley

Glad to hear about the 700MHz range----I sometimes go to Mo. (around the Ozarks). I guess they are still talking about using some 700MHz. freq. down there. As of yet, I dont think they have switched over (and I dont think it will be everywhere), so its good to know that its possible on the 96. Thanks again, Mike

n2mdk

The Pro-96 will get 700MHz frequencies, it just can't track a trunked system in that range.

Haley

Ok, that clears that up. But would it be possible (by programming the control channel as a conventional channel), to hear the system at all (assuming it is analog)? If this is too off topic, moderators please let me know, and I will re-post in the correct forum. Thanks Mike

Skud

Feed Provider
Middleville, MI-Barry County(Near G.R. & Ionia
Problem is, if you program all the voice channels you will hear any traffic on those channels. So like here in Michigan off the Nashville tower I might hear dispatch but then hear DNR when it starts to scan. Their is not way to know which voice channel to go to hear the rest of the conversation, unless it is a trunk systsme with not much traffic.

Haley

So depending on the size of the system , its possible-----but probably not the best way. A few of the systems I have seen (so far anyway)in the 700MHz range, seem to be on the small side. Thank you for the reply

Status
Not open for further replies.