Pro-96 and NiMH batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haley

Just a quick question, can somebody tell me what happens if I use re-chargeable batteries, that are under OR over the recommended 1800Nimh for the 96? I only ask because, I have several sets of various powers laying around. I know not to mis-match them, but was curious-----does this make a difference in reception at all? This might be a dumb question, but I have always wondered! Thanks Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I'll have this moved to the RS forum - however, using higher cap batteries (you mean 1800mah NIMH, I'm sure) will mean they will work longer before needing a recharge (Conversely, they can take longer to recharge, depending on the charger being used). As long as the voltages are correct, as my Aussie friends say, there's no worries. 73 Mike

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
Wasn't aware a recommended value existed but use time will be shorter or longer based on value. Some use 2750 batts. As I recall 1600 was the largest Radio Shack sold when the scanner came out 09/03. Still have some of those.

DickH

Just a quick question, can somebody tell me what happens if I use re-chargeable batteries, that are under OR over the recommended 1800Nimh for the 96? ... does this make a difference in reception at all?

The mAH rating only determines how long they will run before needing a charge. 2800mAhh will run twice as long as 1400mAH. Ir's simple math.

linuxwrangler

Don't know anything about the Pro-96 but you can find the issue discussed quite a bit regarding the 396.

Basically, if you charge externally, no problems. The higher the MAh, the longer the runtime. (Note: my tests using a MH-9000 charger shows wildly differing honesty on capacity. I bought some supposedly 2500 MAh off-brand cells that managed to perhaps test out at 2100 on a good day when new and some "2100" MAh Powerex Imedion low-self-discharge cells that have never tested below 2150.)

If you charge internally, and the scanner uses a simplistic timer-based charger then cells that are significantly smaller than expected for the scanner will get overcharged (as will partially discharged cells left on for a full charge). Probably not good for the cells in the long run but perhaps not too bad either. Standard rejuvenation cycle pumps about twice the battery's capacity into it without apparent ill effect.

If the cells are significantly higher capacity, you may not get a full charge leaving part of the capacity of the cell unused. 'Course the same thing happens if you start with dead cells and don't leave the scanner on charge for a full cycle. All depends on how often you charge and how long. Most setups have some trickle charge even after the charge cycle so you could reach full capacity eventually.

Haley

Hey guys, thanks for all the good info-----that clears it up for me! Sorry about the post being in the wrong forum, I actually thought I had posted it in the RS forum. Thanks again, Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.