Pro-96 and SAFE-T

Status
Not open for further replies.

W9LW

Premium Subscriber
I've been away from scanning for a while. My old Pro-96 has been collecting dust. I got it out today to listen to SAFE-T during the snow storm but I'm not hearing anything, so I suspect something has changed. I searched for information here but was unable to find anything helpful (it might be here, but I didn't find it). So, here are my questions:

Is it still possible to monitor Fort Wayne's SAFE-T site with a Pro-96?

If so, must I do anything special in Win96, like enter a custom trunking table?

Thanks for your consideration.

jf

c_snyder

I use my Pro96 daily and It works fine. As long as you have the control frequency programmed correctly it should work. My trunking tables are all set to "normal". I did use a custom one after the rebanding (when it was 3600 baud) but it now uses standard 9600 P25 tables.

If you program it with Win96 or something maybe you could post a screenshot that might tell more.

c_snyder

You're welcome! I'm glad you got it up and going it's been a busy weekend for sure with the weather.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
As long as your not monitoring the 700 MHz sites your golden with a PRO-96 for now. As TDMA use begins though, you will need to upgrade.

jamesa53

My 2096 (base version of the 96) has been running 24x7 for 10 years, no issues, great scanner. Both 3600 and 9600 Motorola tables should be set to Normal in Win96.

When and if SAFE-T goes P25 Phase II it won't monitor SAFE-T any longer. Hopefully that will be a long time.

c_snyder

I believe from what I have heard 2020 / 2021 is the supposed time for the phase 2 upgrade.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Your Phase 1 scanner may still work. Phase 2 can support Phase 2 radios/scanners.
Only until the system goes pure Phase II. FDMA use on an TDMA system is an waste of resources and is usually only a temporary stop gap until entire system can be upgraded/converted.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Only until the system goes pure Phase II. FDMA use on an TDMA system is an waste of resources and is usually only a temporary stop gap until entire system can be upgraded/converted.

That's why I said "may still work", meaning that there may not be a need to run out and buy a new scanner. You might get another year out of your phase 1 scanner. By then there may be other/better choices than what's available now. Or you might not be able to use any scanner so you could save yourself a lot of money.

Status
Not open for further replies.