pro 96 and win 96

Status
Not open for further replies.

steveh552

i have read that with win 96 you can open the 96 up and monitor outside the normal range, such as mil-air. How well does this work on the 96 and is it worth trying? I enjoy air but am unsure about all of the options in win-96

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
From all I've read, it's spotty at best, Steve. The 96 wasn't designed to work in the UHF milair range, so although it does work, the scanner might not receive all that well, and then again it might be OK. I have yet to read of anyone that has performed the function that found it messed something else up, although there's always a first time :.>>

73 Mike

steveh552

Thanks for the reply. I have yet to get the cable for mine, will be soon, so I do not have the option, it is one of the reasons I would buy the software since I have programed it by hand.

steveh552

I will have to wait until I get the cable to try it out on mine. I just got it brand new last week at RS, so I assume all software on it is up to date.

N8IAA

what is the most up to date software for the 96?

Don Starr's Win96, version 1.57. Just downloaded it to be able to import frequencies from the database at this site (I was using version 1.48). To let you know it works like a dream. You do have to be a premium subscriber to do that though.

Larry

lowboy654

DB Admin Member
Database Admin
Hey, I have a pro-96-95-97-2051 gre-500 and a lot more and win 96-97-95-500 and more. what you are talking about is extended coverage and the 96 will do it but it will not trunk scan and that is the bottom line here and it is coverage is very spotty and that would be why I have a 500 and have my eyes on a 600 for home use, the bottom line the 96 will not perform like you think it will outside of its normal coverage design like you want it to. you can ask this qustion over and over but the simple fact is you will not be happy with it, so folks its time to trash on me here but the bottom line here is the facts that I stated here will stand the test of time. and this will be the last time that I talk about this....73's

Ken

steveh552

Thanks for the answers everyone. I got the scanner for a great price (free is great I think) so i wont complain either way. I am thinking of getting a different one in a few months for home, but so far, I am liking this. Its not a big deal about coverage outside band, i was just curious how well it really worked.

Once I get a cable and such, I will become a premium subscriber here.

bubba01

Premium Subscriber
I have the win96 and pro96, after i downloaded the frequencys all the channels were locked out except for the #9 which i downloaded to.
Any suggestions

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
I have the win96 and pro96, after i downloaded the frequencys all the channels were locked out except for the #9 which i downloaded to.
Any suggestions
Apparently you downloaded to bank 9. When you use any Win96 profile, it will replace each bank with what was in the download, thus if nothing was imported to banks 0 through 8, they will be unused (locked out).

bubba01

Premium Subscriber
I understand that part. If i go to get another bank of frequency's say to put in bank #3 and i have already put some in bank # 2, 5, 6. When i write to bank 3 it will erase all my other frequency's in 2, 5, 6.

DonS

I understand that part. If i go to get another bank of frequency's say to put in bank #3 and i have already put some in bank # 2, 5, 6. When i write to bank 3 it will erase all my other frequency's in 2, 5, 6.

You cannot just upload one bank. The PRO-96 requires that you send everything (the entire radio contents).

If you want to add new data to a single bank, you should first download from the scanner to a new file in Win96, make your changes in that new file, then upload the file to the scanner.

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
Not if you stay in the same import file.

Anytime you transfer a file from Win96 to the scanner, it will transfer all 10 banks of data.

bubba01

Premium Subscriber
I am confussed, i have stuff in 3 banks, and if i write to another bank it wipes out the others. There is plenty of room. I have the Pro 96 10 banks at 5o channele each. I really beleive io am doing something wrong.

bubba01

Premium Subscriber
Okay i think i got it now. Download the scanner make changes then upload all at one time.

Status
Not open for further replies.