Pro-96 CPU version

Status
Not open for further replies.

xpawel15x

Is there a way to tell what CPU version a Pro-96 is without pressing the button combo. For example when buying the scanner on ebay or in a radioshack, can you look at the serial # and know what CPU the scanner will be? Does anyone know starting from which serial numbers will the scanner have the newest CPU?

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
When buying a PRO-96 in Radio Shack (I've bought several over the years), I either bring a set of batteries, or buy a set in the store, open up the scanner, pop them in, and run the check. They never seem to mind. I don't think an eBay seller should object doing that for you if you ask.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
I don't think a CPU of 1.0 was ever released - try again...

SCPD

QRT
Hmi, NO, not unless you ship it back to RS & pay lotsa $$$:(. if stll new & under warranty you will be able to get it done for free. be very Explicit when you take it in ( type exactly that you want done to on a sheet of paper & make sure THE person at Radio shack puts that with the radio when the ship it out. you're mileage may vary.. The guys at the shack I go to actually listen to me & realize I may know more them ie they are nice & very cool. I actually did this back when I had the pro 93 & was in warranty & didn't cost a penny

hcpholder

Premium Subscriber
My CPU version is 1.2! Do I have to send it to Radio Shack for the version Change? Does anyone know how long it usually takes for the change to be completed (how long will I be without my radio)? thanks.

SCPD

QRT
Hcpholder, probably looking at 2-3 weeks & will cost $$$, unless still under warranty. also make sure ur talking about CPU version NoT the DSP CPU version, press 3 after turning scanner on to see

Last edited:

EMS911

Premium Subscriber
Can someone tell me why I would need to send my P96 back for the CPU upgrade? (what benefit(s)); seems to work pretty well right now, but is still under warranty. Mine is ver 1.2.

Last edited:

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
EMS911 said:
Can someone tell me why I would need to send my P96 back for the CPU upgrade? (what benefit(s)); seems to work pretty well right now, but is still under warranty. Mine is ver 1.2.

You know the old saying... "If it works don't fix it!"

CPU v 1.5 was to fix a unique issue that surfaced in Michigan, and Ohio. The ones in-between I don't think were anything to worry about.

hcpholder

Premium Subscriber
CPU Upgrade

Ok, I have family in Michigan that I go visit every year. I always take my Pro-96, so should I go ahead and have the CPU upgraded if I plan on listening to systems throughout Michigan?

xpawel15x

hcpholder said:
Ok, I have family in Michigan that I go visit every year. I always take my Pro-96, so should I go ahead and have the CPU upgraded if I plan on listening to systems throughout Michigan?

If it obviously causes problems to those systems and you want to monitor it correctly than I would do it.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
hcpholder said:

I have had no issues with the P25 voice with the PRO-96 as is in Michigan on MPSCS. Detroit CQPSK is another story however.

Status
Not open for further replies.