Pro-96 dead?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FyrLieut24

Somewhere in the range of a few years ago (give or take a year) the display on my pro-96 went out. If i remember right, the backlight on the keypad still worked. I kinda wrote it off, I wasnt really using it much anymore as I stopped being a volunteer firefighter and my fulltime gig had me busy. Cleaning the garage the other day I found it and decided that I would try and repair it. I guess at some point I tried to repair it because the screws were out of it...no idea where they went.

Broght it to work with me to see what I could find. Sadly now I cant get anything to work on it. I tired 2 different AC power cables as well as non-rechargeable batteries in the yellow battery holder...no backlight on the keys, no LCD, and when I messed with the squelch I got no audio.

Lost cause?

krokus

Premium Subscriber
I guess you have to decide what resources you are will to expend, for the repair.

Do you have experience working on surface mounted components?

Sent via Tapatalk

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Uniden Repair will attempt repair (success will depend on what exactly is wrong and what part(s) are needed). Flat rate $49.50 + $10 shipping. If they cannot repair, they'll usually make a discounted offer for a refurbished scanner of similar capabilities (subject to availability).

Nasby

I would take UPman's suggestion.

Its at least worth a shot sending it to Uniden's repair center.

There's been good feedback on here about their repair services.

SCPD

QRT
Uniden Repair will attempt repair (success will depend on what exactly is wrong and what part(s) are needed). Flat rate $49.50 + $10 shipping. If they cannot repair, they'll usually make a discounted offer for a refurbished scanner of similar capabilities (subject to availability).

That's a pretty good deal from Uniden to fix other manufacturers scanners since GRE is DOA. I have a 96 & a 2096 so if and when they need to be serviced, there is a place to do it.

Good luck!!.

kb8rvp

Pro-96 dead?

I think you can also drop it off at a Radio Shack store and have it sent into RS service.

Mike

Last edited:

FyrLieut24

I guess you have to decide what resources you are will to expend, for the repair.

Do you have experience working on surface mounted components?

Sent via Tapatalk

NO. I don't really know how to solder and the like if that is what you are meaning.

How do I go about finding the info for this? I agree with jwilson, with GRE not really in business anymore this is a good deal from Uniden.

I think you can also drop it off at a Radio Shack store and have it sent into RS service.

Mike

With the Pro-96 a no longer sold model do you think they will still work on it

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
There was a message from about a month ago that RS had closed all repair operations.

N8IAA

Somewhere in the range of a few years ago (give or take a year) the display on my pro-96 went out. If i remember right, the backlight on the keypad still worked. I kinda wrote it off, I wasnt really using it much anymore as I stopped being a volunteer firefighter and my fulltime gig had me busy. Cleaning the garage the other day I found it and decided that I would try and repair it. I guess at some point I tried to repair it because the screws were out of it...no idea where they went.

Broght it to work with me to see what I could find. Sadly now I cant get anything to work on it. I tired 2 different AC power cables as well as non-rechargeable batteries in the yellow battery holder...no backlight on the keys, no LCD, and when I messed with the squelch I got no audio.

Lost cause?

Why not try www.gcomradio.com
Lots of satisfied customers here on RR.
GRE and Radio Shack scanners have been repaired.
Larry

SCPD

QRT
Fyrlieut24, you said you used non rechargeable battery's with the yellow battery holder, the yellow battery holder is for rechargeable battery's only, you need to use the black holder for non rechargeable battery's, that should make a different for powering up your scanner. Have a good day.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Fyrlieut24, you said you used non rechargeable battery's with the yellow battery holder, the yellow battery holder is for rechargeable battery's only, you need to use the black holder for non rechargeable battery's, that should make a different for powering up your scanner. Have a good day.

As long as no external power is applied, it makes no difference which holder is used.

Sent from Tapatalk

FyrLieut24

do you know the success rate they are having with the GRE/RS scanners?

Why not try www.gcomradio.com
Lots of satisfied customers here on RR.
GRE and Radio Shack scanners have been repaired.
Larry

may give it a shot. With it being an older scanner I am not sure how much I want to put into it, although I really dont want to buy a new one.

As long as no external power is applied, it makes no difference which holder is used.

Sent from Tapatalk

no power applied, just put the batteries and it didnt power on.

Status
Not open for further replies.