PRO-96 Display Black - Again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sammyjenkis

I have a PRO-96 and had the display go "all black" 2 years ago.
It was sent in for repair while still under warranty (at that time) and has been working fine until...

Over the weekend the display went "all white," and I discovered this ribbon connector issue and proceeded to perform the repair. I cut off 1-2 mm of the leading edge on the connector and re-inserted it.
To my surprise the display came back fine. Then, after only a few minutes, it went "all black" again and has stayed that way since. The radio still works; I just can't see what's going on.

Now I'm in a quandary: I understand this is about a $100 repair, and frankly I don't have a lot of confidence that Radio Shack really has a handle on this issue.
I could go and purchase a new scanner with upgraded capabilities, but I would probably get a non-Radio Shack product after this fiasco.

I'm wondering if anyone has opinions or similar experiences?

Thanks,
Sammy

dave911

Premium Subscriber
My display has gone out, too. I can listen just fine but can't see anything. FORTUNATELY for me, I only use this particular scanner for scanning one system while I'm in my car and I don't need to make changes. When the day does come to change something, I'm going to be screwed. Is that $100 the actual repair cost or a guess?

DickH

My display has gone out, too. I can listen just fine but can't see anything. FORTUNATELY for me, I only use this particular scanner for scanning one system while I'm in my car and I don't need to make changes. When the day does come to change something, I'm going to be screwed. Is that $100 the actual repair cost or a guess?

There may be a section in the manual about setting the display contrast. It may have changed by itself. It happens.

Benzman66

I would try cleaning the ribbon cable where it inserts into the clip again with alcohol. When you cut the piece off the first time, did you get the coating residue completely off the cable? I believe there is another small ribbon cable additionally that you should clean also. That has always cured the problem for me.

sammyjenkis

Thanks for the replies.

I did check the contract and it makes no difference.

Benzman66, where is the other ribbon cable located?

These seem cheesy to me and I probably won't be buying another RS scanner.

sammy

Benzman66

I was thinking of the 2096. It has the ribbon cable from the LCD to the connector and one from the display board to the main board, however, the 96 just has the one from what I am now remembering. You might want to make sure solder points are reflowed too.
BTW, GRE scanners are made the same way as they are made for RS, so you may want to consider a Uniden for your next purchase.

Status
Not open for further replies.