Pro 96 doesn't receive the 700MHZ

Status
Not open for further replies.

vcorlone

I own a PRO-96 for a number of years. My county here in Colorado has moved to a different frequency. I believe it is the 700 MHz system. I have the win 96 software to make the required changes to my scanner. I read in the forums that you are able to monitor the 700 MHz systems by modifying the extended tables, but you are not able to trunk them. If that is true, would like to hold onto my PRO-96 without giving it up & having to buy another scanner. I also have a couple of jurisdictions that have switched to the HARRIS P25 systems. I heard that just messing with extended tables within the software, it is possible. Can someone give me more information if this is possible?

talkpair

I think the only way you can listen to 700 MHz on a Pro96 is by programming the voice channels in as conventional channels.
This won't require editing any tables.

Just program in the voice channels.

Nasby

And I think if you program all the voice channels, you will hear everything on the system (sewer department, dog catcher, etc.).

talkpair

And I think if you program all the voice channels, you will hear everything on the system (sewer department, dog catcher, etc.).

That's correct.

And if you intend to listen to a busy site, such as the Denver site, this will especially be true.

mikey60

The PRO-96 cannot track trunking in the 700MHz or 380MHz systems. You can only put them in using conventional methods and scan them that way. 700Mhz was just starting to be used around the time the PRO-96 came out. And since the PRO-96 is before upgradable firmware, it can't be updated.

Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
The PRO-96 cannot track trunking in the 700MHz or 380MHz systems. You can only put them in using conventional methods and scan them that way. 700Mhz was just starting to be used around the time the PRO-96 came out. And since the PRO-96 is before upgradable firmware, it can't be updated.

Mike

Almost, but not quite.

The PRO-96 and 2096 were actually among the first scanners to have firmware fixes - see the bottom of our PRO-96 FAQ if you're interested...

PRO-96 FAQ - The RadioReference Wiki

The problem with trying to trunk on 380 and 700 Mhz with these radios is really two-fold;

a. There were, at the time, no trunking tables developed to be able to instruct these scanners how to trunk in these bands - and -
b. The front end of these scanners is not tuned to be able to receive these bands reliably

Therefore while you can use the procedure that Don has to expand the frequency capability, it might not work. The radios might work OK or be as deaf as a rock on these bands. As I understand it, there's already been a handful of folks who have tried this and found these radios to be deaf here.

There's nothing wrong with these radios, per se - the bottom line is that they were never designed to hear these bands, much less trunk them

Mike

talkpair

04Z1V6

The FRCC is one control channel and about four alternates program them in and you could listen but you will hear all or most of Adams County. I have tried trunking with the 2096 and it was useless.

mikey60

Almost, but not quite.

The PRO-96 and 2096 were actually among the first scanners to have firmware fixes - see the bottom of our PRO-96 FAQ if you're interested...

Correct, the PRO-96/2096 could update the DSP firmware. My comment was more related to CPU firmware, which might have been able to allow trunking in those range. The PRO-96 and 2096 are not capable of being updated for CPU firmware, and that was my point. I guess I should have been more clear on that.

Mike

vcorlone

Pro-96 doesn't recieve the 700 MHZ

UPDATE: Did figure out how to trick the radio to enter 700 MHZ , only can conventionally scan the ADAMS COUNTY group here in Colorado, unable to TRUNK these channels, but will do for now. Thanks for all the input from all of you. Was able to trunk the HARRIS 25 system with no problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.