Pro-96 help PLEASE

Status
Not open for further replies.

caktlk15

I just recently purchased the Pro-96 and had Radio Shack program it for me after purchasing Scancat myself and not getting anywhere. I must admit I am somewhat frustrated. For many years I have been a member of the Phoenix Neighborhood Patrol and we monitored Police activity with a Uniden BC245. We could have dispatch as our primary channel and then have it monitor the channel for our precinct. Now, since Phoenix Police have gone digital with the APCO 25 and all that stuff I am lost. Talkgroup ID's have been input, frequencies have been input and yet I still don't hear dispatch nor can I find my precinct. The users manual is next to worthless to me and I don't understand all the new lingo associated with digital scanners. Can anyone steer me in the right direction to get some help? I know my precinct is dispatching officers and I know they are still talking to each other and requesting information, I just can't find it. Sometimes when it does stop on a frequency all I hear is garbled sound. Help please.

drouse3

Buy Win96

Regular scancat has radio controling which the pro-96 will not be able to use. Jim told a person in yahoo groups that regular scancat does not program the pro96. He did not think someone would pay such a high price to just program a scanner. It is in scancat-lite, but it does not work.
Scancat-lite with says it works with the pro-96. All that software does to a pr0-96 is screw it up. I use win96, but use scancat to transfer data between radios. I also have pro-2051 and it is the only software that will program the radio.
I download my radio using scancat-lite and then loaded it back on. I had loaded the radio with my 30 day free trail of win96 before I used scancat-lite. When I downloded the radio with win96 to see what had happen, radio was not working right, I was a mess.

ctrl

I assume (since you didnt post a location) you are refering to Phoenix AZ?

If so, navigate your way on over to:
http://www.radioreference.com/modules.php?name=TRSDB&sid=2508

Make sure the 'A' deck, and 'B' (Alternate A) talkgroups are both in your scanner for the precinct you are trying to moniter. Only one of these is used at a time, however the dispatchers decide which is broadcasted, ect..
Might want to toss in the respective C deck Channels for the precincts, 6-9 is north, 5-7 central, and 4-8 is south. Be sure to enter both of the talkgroups for the area you are in.

At this point it seems as if 867.2125 is the control channel for the simucast A.

Sorry I cannot help with your software problem, I suggest trying to manually program it.

Chris0381

I tried scancat and it kept locking up and crashing my computer. I use Win97 now and it works OK just doesnt export to a spread sheet as good as win99 and I havent found a way to print directly from the program.

LarrySC

Post on your state forum in this site for someone near you with a 96 for a clone that works. Even pay or buy them a cheeseburger. Get WIN96 and backload PGM. Then you can make any changes you need. Good Luck

caktlk15

Thank you for the link and the information. You have been very helpful. Can you explain to me what the "DEC" and "HEX" are on the page full of information? Is it something I should be able to program?

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
caktlk15 said:
Thank you for the link and the information. You have been very helpful. Can you explain to me what the "DEC" and "HEX" are on the page full of information? Is it something I should be able to program?

The "DEC" number is the "talkgroup" number that you would use to program into the talkgroup area of win96 (or into your scanner by hand). The "HEX" is used by people who program the real Motorola radios.

ctrl

caktlk15 said:

You should only be concerned with the DEC numbers. These are the talkgroups you must enter for each precinct.

For example if you are a part of cactus park neighborhood patrol you would want to use:

2991 and 2975 for A deck.
2962 and 2959 for C deck.

Hope this helps.

funtimeguy

Premium Subscriber
DEC is decimal and HEX is hexidecimal, the numbers are the same. Use which ever you like. That garbled sound you hear is probably an encyrpted channel, no way to decode something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.