PRO 96 Loose BNC Connector

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcp90

Premium Subscriber
I apologize if this issue has already been discussed in these forums. The antenna BNC connector on the top of the unit is loose and it is significantly affecting reception. The warranty is expired so I was wondering what is the best way to fix this issue myself without having to send it to Radio Shack's Repair Center.

kilowa22

Hmm you would have to open up the radio to tighten down the nut and/or resolder the connection. You may have also cracked the PC board. If you know someone local that is good in electronics you might ask them to take a look at it. I think RS has a flat rate for scanner repairs, but you will have to call them to confirm that.

marcp90

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the reply. I was able to tighten the nut but reception is still worse than normal :( What is the best way to reach the connection to resolder it?

emscapt9816

Retired, but somehow working harder now...
Premium Subscriber
You need to desolder and remove the exoxy that holds down the shield that cover the connector. That's the hard part. Once you remove the shield, you can resolder the wire from the PC board to the connector.

Status
Not open for further replies.