PRO 96 New to it All! Please Help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grumpy71

Hi. I have had this PRO 96 Radio Shack scanner for a while. When I got it as a gift, the guy at radio shack put on a bunch of stations or frequencies for me. I live near Greeley Co. Weld County in a small town. The channels the radio shack guy gave me were for everywhere... like Denver, and areas I don't go or know about. So I am trying to get just my local areas around here for the POLICE, FIRE DEPT, EMT, FLIGHT FOR LIFE, COLO STATE PATROL for up here,I think that's all. I want Johnstown, Milliken, Greeley, and maybe Ft. Collins because my step son lives up there. I don't know anything about repeaters, Motorola, Edac, Conventional or any of that. I try to read and understand but it all goes way over my head still. I signed up for here at RR yesterday hoping to figure it out.

I also downloaded PRO 96 Com and I cannot get my scanner to read the info to the PRO 96 Com thingy. Is there a trick? Is there another free site to get the RR info to my scanner without typing it all in? I ask because we are short on $$ and cant really afford another $30 for Win 96 or whatever. Please help! Thank you!!

detroit780

Silent Key
Database Admin
Pro96

I googled using a pro96 with pro96com and I found the manual. This will walk you through the steps to make it work.

http://www.pa2600.com/pro96com.pdf

You won't find a free site to download Radio Reference files from since it costs a fair amount of money to run this site. All the information is free here if you want to type it in by hand. It's $30 a year if you want to download from this site and program the radio via the software. Plus another $30 for Win96.

Seems like programming by hand is it.

Hi. I have had this PRO 96 Radio Shack scanner for a while. When I got it as a gift, the guy at radio shack put on a bunch of stations or frequencies for me. I live near Greeley Co. Weld County in a small town. The channels the radio shack guy gave me were for everywhere... like Denver, and areas I don't go or know about. So I am trying to get just my local areas around here for the POLICE, FIRE DEPT, EMT, FLIGHT FOR LIFE, COLO STATE PATROL for up here,I think that's all. I want Johnstown, Milliken, Greeley, and maybe Ft. Collins because my step son lives up there. I don't know anything about repeaters, Motorola, Edac, Conventional or any of that. I try to read and understand but it all goes way over my head still. I signed up for here at RR yesterday hoping to figure it out.

I also downloaded PRO 96 Com and I cannot get my scanner to read the info to the PRO 96 Com thingy. Is there a trick? Is there another free site to get the RR info to my scanner without typing it all in? I ask because we are short on $$ and cant really afford another $30 for Win 96 or whatever. Please help! Thank you!!

GrayJeep

Premium Subscriber
Try checking in on the Colorado forum.
Lots of helpful people there. Some might even live close enough to meet you and run a program into your radio.

But it always helps to read the manual and try to use your radio for your ownself. You'll learn a lot and you'll understand more of what helpers try to explain to you.

TES

Radioreference does offer 2 free system downloads, see RadioReference.com - Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference . . .

Since you are already a RadioReference.com premium subscriber you can easily download Win 96 and use this uncrippled software for thirty days of unlimited downloads from the database. After the thirty-day no-cost trial period it's your decision to purchase the software—or not.

That should be way better than the "free 7 day trial period and two free system downloads from the RadioReference.com Database" linked above.

Grumpy71

Thank you everyone!! I finally got Pro96Com to do something....Lol....Wasn't what i needed. I will look for the Colorado Forums and see what I can find. Some of the things I don't get is why when I got the scanner Pro 96, it was programmed with every other channel was the "same channel", and the other every other channels were different numbers.... for example Bank 0 : 1 would be 832.555. 2 would be 744.987. 3 would be 832.555. 4 would be 745.497. 5 would be 832.555..... and so on. Those are not the same numbers, I can't remember what exactly they were, but when I 1st got on RR I am trying the 7 day software to have RR just send all info over, I selected the channels I want for trunking and i think conventional. but every other number is not the same. I was just wondering if anyone knows why every other number was the same.... like if it was because it is a V scanner.... or what ever? I don't know if this made any sense to anyone, but I tried to explain the best I could.

GrayJeep

Premium Subscriber
Thank you everyone!! I finally got Pro96Com to do something....Lol....Wasn't what i needed. I will look for the Colorado Forums and see what I can find. Some of the things I don't get is why when I got the scanner Pro 96, it was programmed with every other channel was the "same channel", and the other every other channels were different numbers.... for example Bank 0 : 1 would be 832.555. 2 would be 744.987. 3 would be 832.555. 4 would be 745.497. 5 would be 832.555..... and so on. Those are not the same numbers, I can't remember what exactly they were, but when I 1st got on RR I am trying the 7 day software to have RR just send all info over, I selected the channels I want for trunking and i think conventional. but every other number is not the same. I was just wondering if anyone knows why every other number was the same.... like if it was because it is a V scanner.... or what ever? I don't know if this made any sense to anyone, but I tried to explain the best I could.

That's a really run-on description. Only the person who programmed your Vscanner knows why they did what they did. Doesn't matter since you're going to program it the way you like it and understand it.

Take out the 700 Mhz frequencies. The Pro-96 won't do them.

Grumpy71

What?? Darn, I made a folder for Longmont and Adams County (my brother works at the Adams County Sheriffs Office in the jail) & those are all frequencies that start with 7. Will they not be able to be heard at all? Is there anything I can do to get those frequencies?

jleverin

I have a Pro 96 and the darned thing gave me fits when I first got it because I never could figure out how to program it properly. I bought it off Ebay with no box or manual and didn't know ANYTHING about programming digital. So I got a $15 membership here and asked question and then decided the Win96 program was probably what I needed so I spent the $30 for that and the $28 buck from RS for the programming cable. In short it seemed like a lot of money at the time but really the ease of programming everything after that was shocking. I just wish now my computer hadn't died because I no longer have anything to update stuff into the scanner with. So far the scanner is still picking up local frequencies but I suspect they have updated some things and I can't do anything about it. CO DTRS is always changing . I do have a scanner app on my cell phone where I can get alot of public safety stuff but not here in Pueblo, I figure they must be encrypted, if nothing else to keep the local gangsters from finding out what the police are doing. I seem to get CO springs and the county fine but not much locally. The analog freqs pretty much don't get much except cabs and buses. I ,like many, don't have the money to upgrade at this point, even if I did, the $500 would get spent on HF ham gear. I have had my General for a couple of years but can't afford to get on HF, that's my first priority before the scanner

GrayJeep

Premium Subscriber
It will if you use Win96 and check the extended frequencies box. It won't trunk a 700Mhz truck system but it will pick up transmissions.

The guy doesn't understand trunking yet. This will only confuse him.

If the control channel shows a 7xx frequency for the system (as many of the Denver area DTRS towers do) it is unusable for that radio.

The Pro-106 and 197 will work just fine. Not the '96.

Status
Not open for further replies.