Pro-96 on 700 Mhz

Status
Not open for further replies.

1PPS

Retired Electrical Engineer.
I noticed I wasn’t hearing much on Pro-96 and of course found that control channels had moved to 772 Mhz. Question then is since Pro-96 wont accept those frequecies is it now no longer useful for monitoring Hoosier SAFE-T?

cubn

Database Admin

1PPS

It's been over a decade ago since I did it but I opened up the 700 mhz band on my Pro96 using a trial version of the Win96 software.

From what I'm reading online, look for the enable the "Extended Frequencies" option in Win96.
I will have to see if I can find Win 96 again, I have Radio Shack interface will see if that works, thanks for reply. Rich 1PPS

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I noticed I wasn’t hearing much on Pro-96 and of course found that control channels had moved to 772 Mhz. Question then is since Pro-96 wont accept those frequecies is it now no longer useful for monitoring Hoosier SAFE-T?
As you know, it won't handle your home county since it uses 700MHz. But for your immediately adjacent counties, those appear to still be using 800MHz.
It's been over a decade ago since I did it but I opened up the 700 mhz band on my Pro96 using a trial version of the Win96 software.

From what I'm reading online, look for the enable the "Extended Frequencies" option in Win96.
While you can 'open up' the extended frequencies, which would include 700MHz as well as the military aircraft band, it still will not trunk track 700MHz. Those frequencies were not in use when the Pro-96/-2096 were designed & released. It might work for some of the 700MHz, conventional, interop channels, but not any 700MHz trunked system.

1PPS

As you know, it won't handle your home county since it uses 700MHz. But for your immediately adjacent counties, those appear to still be using 800MHz.

While you can 'open up' the extended frequencies, which would include 700MHz as well as the military aircraft band, it still will not trunk track 700MHz. Those frequencies were not in use when the Pro-96/-2096 were designed & released. It might work for some of the 700MHz, conventional, interop channels, but not any 700MHz trunked system.
Hmm, so it may be time for a new scanner, this Pro-96 has been a good one though.
rp

usswood

Or open it up to include 700 and then add all the VC's for the site you want to hear as conventional, you won't get talkgroup ID's but you could still listen and folllow the traffic

1PPS

What then might anyone suggest as a good hand held scanner to work on the 700 Mhz band now that my county has changed frequencies?

W4EMS

Premium Subscriber
Agree with SDS 100 if the system is simulcast. 436 will "work" but not well. The 100 does quite well.

Status
Not open for further replies.