Pro-96 P25 and Starcom Scanning Troubles

Status
Not open for further replies.

sistercrystal

Premium Subscriber
Hi. I'm REALLY new to radios, so please bear with me.

I bought a Pro-96. I downloaded the radioreference frequencies using Win96. I've programmed conventional frequencies through banks 4 and then trunked systems on 5-8. I saved it all and uploaded to my scanner. But when I hit Scan, it only scans through bank 4. If I manually go to one of the channels on the banks 5-8, I hear nothing but static.

I cannot figure out why I cannot hear any Trunked groups. Again, I'm new to this, so maybe I'm missing something stupid obvious.

Banks 5-8 are set to MOT mode and and not "closed."

Thanks. BTW, I'm trying to listen to Peoria, IL and Illinois Starcom. Thanks.

Crystal

snooky262

Premium Subscriber
Hi. I'm REALLY new to radios, so please bear with me.

I bought a Pro-96. I downloaded the radioreference frequencies using Win96. I've programmed conventional frequencies through banks 4 and then trunked systems on 5-8. I saved it all and uploaded to my scanner. But when I hit Scan, it only scans through bank 4. If I manually go to one of the channels on the banks 5-8, I hear nothing but static.

I cannot figure out why I cannot hear any Trunked groups. Again, I'm new to this, so maybe I'm missing something stupid obvious.

Banks 5-8 are set to MOT mode and and not "closed."

Thanks. BTW, I'm trying to listen to Peoria, IL and Illinois Starcom. Thanks.

Crystal
Crystal
Did you program all of your control frequencies

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

sistercrystal

Premium Subscriber
Control Frequencies

I'm not sure what that means. I downloaded whatever Radio Reference programmed in and did nothing else.

snooky262

Premium Subscriber
For trunking frequencies. You will need control frequencies..
Usually listed as primary and secondary. They are usually red and blue. And must be programmed in order.. usually need only primary ones...

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

rentacop

The patrol channel is the frequencies in red alternate control channel is the frequencies in blue and make sure you put the control channels in as well the control Channel controls all of the other frequencies

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/137761/Radio-Shack-Pro-96.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FpRgzOw4nI

If it stops at 4? you have to enable 5-8 by pushing the corresponding number on the keyboard. That's how you turn a bank on or off. If they're all locked out? they also won't show up. It's all about taking the time to read and apply it. I was in Peoria last summer and listened to all of the Starcom21 ISP 8 stuff and local on the Pro96 and less* on my Whistler 1080. Pro 96 is still a great scanner to use in that area of the state.

Last edited by a moderator:

rentacop

I had a Radio Shack Pro 96 scanner it's an awesome scanner is a basic for beginners users to listen to the local police and fire departments and Ham Radio Networks and others is still a good scanner no doubt about that one and have you thought about programming it manually instead of using the software

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
My RS2096 receives 800mgz Starcom towers just fine, Starcom is labeled P2 but most towers are still Phase I......

rentacop

When I got my Pro 96 I was scanning Phase 1 systems with it even though it had a little issues but until I got me a phase 1 scanner that that that issue has subsided

sistercrystal

Premium Subscriber
I'm getting the scanner to stop on the channels. It looks like it is broadcasting, but even with squelch all the way down, I get no sound. Any ideas?

Engine104

Member since 2005
I've found on P25 systems (ICIS in L.A. for me) on my Pro-96, that you have to set up custom tables. I used Win96 for that.

sistercrystal

Premium Subscriber
So frustrated

I've been doing so much reading and just can't figure this out. I left my file as it was and tried to do the City of Peoria's P25 in Bank 9. I'm looking at the table and everything seems right from the website. I feel like I'm missing something obvious. Can I share my file and have someone help me out? I'm renaming it .txt, but it's a .p96 file.

Attachments

• Newest Frequencies Modified.txt
    33.9 KB · Views: 69

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
Pro-96 P25 Starcom21

First things first. Turn the scanner ON and push #3 at the WELCOME screen and tell us what you see. Because where I am over the years the Starcom21 system needs update U1.3 and U1.4. 1.4 Especially fixed the garbled mess after re-branding in the 800mhz range. YOU should be able to punch in the control channel for Peoria's Starcom21 site from RRef and begin hearing transmissions. You say that MOT is set in the bank you want, but it also has to be set in the TRUNKED area for each bank by pushing Program* and then TRUNK button and then toggle it with "MODE" button. The Trunked area where the talkgroups go* also has to be set to MOT.
I also clicked on your .txt file and it's nothing but weird characters for some reason. You might try again.

851.125* is the control channel for the Peoria ETSB System and
852.450* 852.975 853.8625 are the 3 from Peoria Starcom21 Tower

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
Ok. Good. I'd like to help but can't see straight. Gotta go to bed. Tomorrows another day. Just try doing ONE bank with only the control channel for either Peoria or Starcom21 (Peoria site) and see if it get's anything.

Press PGM *(Program)button then punch in - 851.12500 (enter) push (program) (trunk) then Func button and then #4 button and set the BAUD rate to Normal* using up/down arrows* since Peoria AND Starcom21 use a 9600 baud rate for control channels. Try scanning after that making sure MOT is selected for your BANK and in the Trunked area of your bank too using the "mode" button.

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
Depending on what software you're using, it might not import all the frequencies needed. I just redid a 96 for a former boss yesterday and Win96 only imported 3 of the channels for the local site. Yes, one was a control channel, but you may be missing a couple. Check your program against the database visually and add what the software didn't import.

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
To Sistercrystal. Did you ever get anywhere with this scanner? Rebanding could also be an issue as that happened in our state during the lifetime of THAT scanner. To check for custom tables on this scanner?

With the scanner on MANUAL in the BANK where you have the Trunked System set up on .. push "pgm" then "trunk"
THEN push "func" and the #2 it shows the Custom Tables area. Pro96 Wiki area says you can't change it manually with pro96/2096 I did* but can with the Software Win96 and Arc96. For the Starcom21 System here I have

Base freq: 851.00625 - just punch the numbers in and enter*
Offset: 380 punch numbers in and enter*
STEP: 6.25KHz - THIS one is set using the up/down arrow on the scanner, then "enter"

Status
Not open for further replies.