PRO-96/PRO-2096 Confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

fardley

Premium Subscriber
I bought a PRO-96 and PRO-2096 scanner a couple of years ago. Joined RR, downloaded one file that contained all fire and police freqs for my city (Chesapeake, VA) and surrounding five cities. Uploaded to the scanners and everything performed flawlessly. I had heard that some fire/police systems in my area were upgrading their systems and sure enough, I was receiving fewer transmissions as time went on. So I figured I would load the latest freq. DBs from RR. I no longer see a single file for my city and surrounding cities (now known as Hampton Roads). Now I have numerous choices including Project 16, Project 25 Phase II, etc. Could somebody please tell me which file(s) to load to my scanners and if the 96 and 2096 are even compatible with newer systems, If not, what are the modern-day equivalents?
TIA, Phil

GeneseeCoMI

I bought a PRO-96 and PRO-2096 scanner a couple of years ago. Joined RR, downloaded one file that contained all fire and police freqs for my city (Chesapeake, VA) and surrounding five cities. Uploaded to the scanners and everything performed flawlessly. I had heard that some fire/police systems in my area were upgrading their systems and sure enough, I was receiving fewer transmissions as time went on. So I figured I would load the latest freq. DBs from RR. I no longer see a single file for my city and surrounding cities (now known as Hampton Roads). Now I have numerous choices including Project 16, Project 25 Phase II, etc. Could somebody please tell me which file(s) to load to my scanners and if the 96 and 2096 are even compatible with newer systems, If not, what are the modern-day equivalents?
TIA, Phil

The Pro 96 and Pro 2096 are incapable of decoding Phase II systems. You need to buy a new scanner that does. There's several of them available that can do so. Here's the complete list:

Uniden BCD325P2
Uniden BCD436HP
Uniden BCD536HP
Uniden BCD996P2
Uniden HomePatrol-2
Whistler WS1088
Whistler WS1098
Whistler TRX-1
Whistler TRX-2

Last edited:

N8IAA

TIA, Phil

The major fault of the 96/2096 is that they don't decode 700 MHz trunk systems. The system that shows Phase II in your city is one of those 700 MHz systems.It has Phase I TGID's. Unfortunately, your scanners won't allow you to monitor.
Anything from a Pro 106/197 to the Whistler 1040/1065 will work with all of the systems you are trying to monitor. If you want to upgrade to Phase II, it will put a dent in your wallet.
Keep it simple and inexpensive. Upgraded nine years ago and haven't been unhappy:)
HTH,
Larry

fredva

Feed Provider
Before making a purchase, I would highly recommend going to the Virginia forum and asking others in your area to confirm if the talkgroups are actually Phase 1 and are expected to remain Phase 1. There is an active thread in the Virginia forum called Cheaspeake P25 where you could pose the question.

Also, there is something called "simulcast" being used which can affect scanner performance depending on location, and that is one thing being discussed in that thread.

fardley

Premium Subscriber
Thanks to all for the replies. Since wife is primary user (listener), I went with the HomePatrol II. Setup was semi-easy, probably could use a better antenna. Guess I now have a couple of RadioShack paperweights.
Cheers, Phil

Status
Not open for further replies.