PRO 96, program motorola trunk system

Status
Not open for further replies.

lukaradio

Trying to program a motorola trunk system
Using bank 1 as example......
1st step press "PGM" button
2nd step press "TRUNK" button gives "BANK 1 Not Trunked! Press mode" so
3rd step pressing "MODE" button.....(this is where my question/confusion is).....
pressing the "TRUNK" button changes the top line "Bank 1 -0 ON", "Bank 1 - 1 ON", etc...
AND pressing the up/down arrow keys changes the middle 2nd line "ID No. 00", ID No. 01", etc..
So the question is do I need to program anything into the "ID No..." OR what is this for? OR do I just hit "PGM" and move onto inputting the frequencies?

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
the ID slots are for the actual TG ID numbers like 36211 Sheriff Dispatch. Before going any further, you may want to look in the wiki and read the actual manual for the PRO-96, as well as the programming tips etc... Next, is the system your trying to program in an standard Legacy Motorola Type II TRS, an rebanded (not sure if they did any rebanding in Canada), an P25 system??? I applaud you for trying to learn to do it manually, as its always good to n=know how to do. But - To save yourself major headaches, you would be better off using programming software such as Win96 from Starrsoft, or Butel's ARC96.

lukaradio

To be honest I`m trying to figure out what the hell is wrong with this scanner OR am I doing something wrong.......so just trying to rule out this is not a step I need to program first while setting up the system.

I picked the unit up second hand, it did have a system programed on it, I reset and initialized it but now I can`t get any trunked systems to scan and receive any channels. I originally thought I was programming wrong but I have read all the tutorials, wikis, etc.. and now I`m just trying to rule out all the possibilities.

I can receive regular non trunked channels, weather, etc. The only thing I can think of is that this unit was somehow modified and unable to trunk/scan properly.....Is this even possible???????

And I have no problem manually programming, in fact I have never used any software in any of my scanners.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
I have a Pro96. To mess with the Baud rates 3600/9600 and change the individual Talk-groups with up/down arrows, you have to stop the scanner on a channel in the bank you want put it all on. Say Bank 1 you want to do this. STOP it on any channel in bank 1 using the manual button. To change things hit *Program then Trunk. That takes you where you want to be to toggle the MOT/EDACS setting by using "mode" button. OK. you have MOT selected so now use "function" button to change baud rates function -#3 button gives you the 3600 baud, function button and #4 gives you 9600 baud. I use Win96 to put my stuff in. It gives you an extra tab to click to enable 700mhz use with the Pro96. I still like to enter some talk-groups manually though.

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
Oh, you could put the talk groups in manually just by toggle of the up down arrows and punching them in with number keys? or, you Just find the Control Channel for the system you're trying to scan and it does this automatically. When a Talk group shows up during a transmission? you just press "trunk" and it will capture the Talk-group for you. YOU can then go in later and give it a text description like "Ontario PD-north" or something ALL which is much easier with Win96. I used to have a RRef subscription where you can download the system you're looking for and import it into WIN96 by a radio shack cable into the Pro96. I'm not sure if RR still has this feature? and subscription since so many systems are going encrypted now.

lukaradio

Rebanding has nothing to do with Canadian systems...

These 2 articles from our wiki might help - the first one has links to our programming shortcut for the 96, the other, in the off chance you are trying to program Fleetnet, are instructions for programming that system

Getting Started with your PRO-96 or PRO-2096 - The RadioReference Wiki

Programming your Pro-96/2096 for Fleetnet - The RadioReference Wiki

Mike

Well I can at least rule out rebanding also then.....thanks.

Your first link was one I followed and your second link was actually what was programmed when I bought the scanner.

I honestly don't believe I am making any errors in programming this thing......but i am at a loss as to why the few different analog Motorola trunking systems I have tried to program do not work (nothing is received when on scan)
VERY FRUSTRATING!!

On an related question regarding programming fleetnet, can I manually program if there are several base/Spacing/offset settings? Or does this need to be done using software (can you manually program more then one set) because the tutorial/manual I read does not show how you enter/program more then one set manually.

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
When you're in the "trunk" area and have set the baud rates by pushing "function-#4 button" , say 9600. you can use the up/down arrows to select "Normal" "Splinter" "Table" "Multi-table" this is where you can select the proper system baud and spacing. I can't remember what they even mean since I only use "Normal" 9600 baud for the Starcom21 system I listen to. I guess trying out different selections would help to find the system you're looking to hear.

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
@ka3jjz ka3jjz
Wiki Admin Emeritus

"Friends don't let Friends buy Scancat lite plus" HAAA! absolutely right. I wish I'd of seen that before I did long ago. What a waste of $

INDY72

Read the manual fully. Learn about programming the systems, and the talk groups, and open and closed modes. You can have all the frequencies right, and if you scan in closed mode without the talk groups programmed in properly, still not hear a blessed thing. If you would name the system your trying to program in, we can provide further assistance. On the Fleetnet, if your doing the Toronto tower - Direct quote from the wiki -
"One other note... If you are trying to monitor the Toronto tower, that requires setting up multiple different Trunking Table settings, which can be done thru Don Starr's excellent Win96 software or ARC96. "

So the answer is you must use software.

lukaradio

Peel Region Trunking System, Peel, Ontario - Scanner Frequencies
This is one system I`m trying to listen to.

I`ve read the OEM manual, any shortcut tutorials I found, etc..
Open+, closed-, with/without ID`s programmed, different antennas, different locations....I have even smashed it on a table a few times. Same results can`t hear anything/doesn`t stop on any channels in scan.

Would the software version matter?

The fleetnet was just a different question, just asking if I need a cable to program fleetnet (the last thing I want to do is go buy a cable if I am not sure this scanner works properly)

INDY72

Program it as Motorola Type II, but all you need is the control channels for it. (3 out of 4 possibles are known and listed, and usually that should be sufficient for tracking it as most systems rarely rotate through all 4 CC's. Only exception I can recall is the Hot Springs, AR system.) If the scanner is working right, you should have no problems. Important tests:
1 - Manually tune to the CC's and listen for the buzzing of the data, and the display of M36 and the % of decode on the screen.
If you can't find any signal of an CC, you can't track it. If you get less than 20% decode tracking it properly will be an issue sometimes.
2 - Test the reception on local frequencies, VHF, UHF, and 800. The 96's sometimes "drift" and unless you have the patience to adjust internal settings, this is doom.

As for that cable, getting one is no waste, they are very useful in programming many different scanners. (From the PRO-92's up through the 106's I believe?) As well as running diagnostic software/analysis softwares such as Pro96Com, Unitrunker, T-88 etc... And if you get another 96 or newer, you will kick yourself for not having a cable to program it. *And lets not even start with the hours it takes to program the newest scanners manually. It is good to know how, but your fingers may bleed if you use that method as the only way you program them lol.*

Last edited by a moderator:

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
Turning the Scanner ON, pressing the #3 immediately during the start up screen shows the Firmware version. The Pro96 ended the updates at DSP - APP - 1.4 updates are still online for that but you need a cable to upload it like the Radio Shack 20-047 USB/PC cable. Bright Orange colored.

If you have 1.1-1.3 maybe that does have an effect on it. Also, Is ATT showing anywhere? That would mean Global Attenuation is ON and blocks longer range transmission. Func-ATT turns it on and off. Pressing the ATT on any channel also turns it off/on for that channel. Normal is the desired setting. After looking at your System on RRef, I don't see any reason why the Pro96 couldn't scan that as long as all the frequencies were programmed in and control channels. Only thing I could think of is IF the baud rate is right. A control channel of that system would show you which one to use. Find the CChannel with the Motorola system noise going with the scanner stopped on Manual. The system info is at the bottom. If it's 3600 baud, you use that by pressing function #3 for 3600 or function #4 for 9600 while you're in the Trunk/ID setting for the entire Bank. Only other possibility is if the Talk group BANKS in the Trunk setting themselves are OFF. To test you stop the scanner, press func-trunk, then func-#1 to toggle it on or off. There are 5 banks of Talk-group IDs. Also. If you press Func-#2 while in their, it reveals Offset and step settings which the manual will tell you more about. Hope you get it working.

lukaradio

Looks like its on 1.1 maybe it needs to be updated?
Oh believe me I've tried ATT, talk groups on/off, etc...
I can hear the control channel noise.....but it doesn't show any system info on the bottom, should it?
So for that system I'm trying to listen to (motorola type II smartzone) the baud rate makes a difference and/or does it have to be set?

Last edited:

INDY72

If it is decoding the Motorola Type II system, when you park it on the CC, in manual mode, it should display M36: then the SysID and th percentage of decode....

Example: Mine is now sitting on the SAFE-T system, an Motorola Type II Smartzone Omnilink. I have it parked on the ISP D52 Site CC. Manual Mode.

It displays M36: 7829 99%

If you are getting less than 20% decode rate, you may not see anything other than the M36: (SysID) The DSP verison has nada to really do with basic decoding and trunktracking of Type II systems. The CPU on the other hand, tells you another story. the last CPU they put out is 1.4, and it was a massive improvement over the original and other 2 CPU's. The DSP APP just effects how the scanner decodes P25 audio. 1.4 Was the last update, and improved decode of P25 audio on simulcast systems as best as could be done using the technology they went with.

My CPU V 1.4
My DSP APP V 1.4

The settings for baud rate are automatic when you program in the system correctly.

Next question is: How far away is the site your trying to hear? What type of antenna system are you using?

INDY72

Just to show how good the 96 is with this CPU and DSP, using an RS 800 MHz rubber duckie ant - I get 5 SAFE-T sites with 90% Decode or better from my home, and another 3 SAFE-T sites with 50% or better Decode, and at least 3 more SAFE-T sites with 20% at least Decode, with very little "digitized" audio on the 3 simulcasts on the SAFE-T I monitor. Now on the P25 IDPS system 1, I get 50 - 80 % good decode off my nearest site, and would get 99% if I had an Yagi. The multipath distorts it just enough to cause some issues, though when the audio garbling is too bad, I can play with the squelch settings, usually fixes it quickly. If it is very bad (which isn't too often) I hit the attenuation. On IDPS system 2, I rarely get the good audio I'd like, but that will change with the conversion of an site only a mile from me. I also get decent decoding of the Hamilton County EDACS which is a good distance north of me (closest repeater that is).

Last edited by a moderator:

lukaradio

I think I can rule out that it's a reception problem, I've tried many different antennas all with the same results. I basically border three different cities that all use the same type of Moto II smartzone system, I have tried to program all 3 seperately with the same results. Never have had a reception problem using different radio shack or uniden radios (even inside the house).

So if I don't need to mess with baud rates and the dsp version would not make a difference. Could it be not working because it has the original CPU version? And thus it has difficulty picking up 800mhz?

I more leaning towards that there is a problem with the radio, software, etc.. Rather then something on my end.

Edit....I seen a few eBay ads that are selling this radio and the seller indicates that it does not pick up 800mhz band.

INDY72

Your unit has drifted on 800 MHz. It can be fixed, but you would need to buy an "noise" signal generator to assist in making adjustments to the IF screws inside it. Does it still work on VHF and UHF?

lukaradio

That could be a good possibility. I don`t mind playing with the inside of it but I think obtaining a noise signal generator might be out of my expertise.
Yes it does pick up other vhf/uhf.....at this point it just seems to be the 800mhz trunking that I haven`t been able to listen to.
Well hopefully I can still get some use out of this unit.
Thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.