Pro 96 ribbon cable problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

TEH

Hello radio friends,

A few times a year, the display on my Pro-96 becomes too faint to read. The fix has been to take the scanner apart, release the plastic clips holding the ribbon cable in its connector, and reseat the cable.
The backlight works. The problem is a bad connection in ribbon cable socket.

I tried this repair last week, and it did not help. Then I took a small strip from a clean sheet of paper, folded the trip of paper approx 4 times, and then inserted it in the connector several times. That solved the problem

Has anyone else experienced this issue, and is there any permanent solution short of buying a new LCD display assembly?

Thank you

johncoleman

pro 96

Hello,

F Y I I had the same problem with a 2096 and a gentleman on here told me to take out the ribbon and with a sharp scissors cut about 1/16 of it off and put it back . I elected to send to Radio Shack repair and see what they say . Radio shack ordered the part 51.00 and 49.00 they will put it in . total cost 100.00 and that includes shipping both ways as you just drop it off at your local radio shack . It has been two weeks and no part came in yet but they say it will .

Happy scanning

John

GrayJeep

Premium Subscriber
Connectors are the most evil electronic component in widespread use. (says the former electronics manufacturing engineer)

The way the ribbon cable is connected to the connector is also a form of connector and therefore also evil.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.