Pro 96 rubber grips

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
have a brand new ( bought Christmas of 2007) and 1 of the finger (hand grips)has come off. whats a god adhesive to fix it with?
Thanks Paul

unitcharlie

a Kentucky DB Admin...
Premium Subscriber
Mine feel off my original PRO 96 a couple of yeas ago....never did get them to stick so I put reflective tape where the hand grips were and was a little more visible.... there are a couple of holes that need to be covered if you plan to use the thing outside.... seems someone used Gator Glue (is that what it is called?) to foinally get them to stick... My original version, RIP, became soaked in a six inch deluge in April and I knew it was trouble when I heard a prolonged zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzztttttttttttppppppppp-POOF.... she won't go beyond the DSP Booting screen....

manross

I've had really good luck with 3M spray adhesive, mainly used in automotive applications. I don't have a can handy to look at, but I want to say it's 3m #357 or 667 ? Something like that. Don't quote me on that, but it can be found at all of the automotive stores. Follow the directions and it will stick. Make sure to get it straight the first time since it will be VERY difficult to move after it's stuck. Word of warning...I'd carefully mask off the entire radio and spray outside or garage. This stuff is sticky. Good luck.

Marty

Paulsan

Gorilla Glue. I don't know if I'd use it though. I'd try the 3M stuff that manross mentioned.

xpawel15x

Just yesterday, I have used this Fix-All super glue to fix a pair of suction cups that have broken off from a plastic antenna mount. After pressing it down for 15 seconds I was amazed that it worked and actually cemented the suction cups back to the original plastic. I would recommend this glue. Worked for me.

http://superglue.supergluecorp.com/15090.html

SAR923

Loctite super glue that comes in a bottle with a brush has held mine on for about three years.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
Moved to the RadioShack forum.

A lot of advice is being offered on a radio that is still under warranty. Here is another piece of advice, take it in for repairs. :)

SCPD

QRT
and what what your point lou?.... is it NOT OT??? & ie it s moved 2 days later by a Mod with Nothing else to do?? :p

Nasby

I bought my PR0-96 used on EBay (no warranty) and they came unglued. So the advice was helpful in my case.

hypersight

I used PVC pipe cement. Spread it on thin and be quick about it. It dries quickly. Your grips will never come off again.

hoser147

3M makes tubes of trim cement, that holds most of the moldings on cars. Rather than trying to spray it get a tube of the trim cement apply the cement and lift the rubber peice a time or two so it dries a little faster and then put it down for good. Hoser

SCPD

QRT
Again, thanks to all for the replies. its only the small grip on the power adapter side.. but the other will come loose I am sure, sooner or later

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
AlabamaRS said:
and what what your point lou?.... is it NOT OT??? & ie it s moved 2 days later by a Mod with Nothing else to do?? :p[/QUOTE=AlabamaRS]And
Again, thanks to all for the replies. its only the small grip on the power adapter side.. but the other will come loose I am sure, sooner or later
It was moved because it was posted in the wrong forum, it is a RS radio with a well known problem that affects that model. My comment is not off topic, it was dead on. You stated you bought a radio in December of 2007, it comes with a 1 year warranty, I said take it back for repair; RS is well aware of the problem, but if you want to void the warranty, go ahead and fix it yourself, it is your $500, not mine.

As to your comment about nothing better to do, well I suggest you pay more attention to reading and less attention to typing.

SCPD

QRT
loumaag said:
AlabamaRS said:
and what what your point lou?.... is it NOT OT??? & ie it s moved 2 days later by a Mod with Nothing else to do?? :p[/QUOTE=AlabamaRS]AndIt was moved because it was posted in the wrong forum, it is a RS radio with a well known problem that affects that model. My comment is not off topic, it was dead on. You stated you bought a radio in December of 2007, it comes with a 1 year warranty, I said take it back for repair; RS is well aware of the problem, but if you want to void the warranty, go ahead and fix it yourself, it is your $500, not mine.

As to your comment about nothing better to do, well I suggest you pay more attention to reading and less attention to typing.

You are saying radio shack will replace the scanner just because of a rubber grip that came off???

abqscan

DataBase Administrator
No, he is saying that if a radio is under warranty, it should be taken back to RS so they can send it to the repair center and get it fixed. Why spend a dime when you don't have to????

SCPD

QRT
abqscan said:
No, he is saying that if a radio is under warranty, it should be taken back to RS so they can send it to the repair center and get it fixed. Why spend a dime when you don't have to????

And do without a scanner for 2-3 weeks??? because of a grip?

scanrrman

DIY. I wouldn't let my radio go for 2-3 weeks just because I'm cheap and lazy. Why would you let the factory replace it with the same failing equipment just to have it fail again which is very typical if you read most posts regarding reoccurring problems. If you want it done right, learn how and do it yourself.

SCPD

QRT
that was my point scanrrman... warranty or not, RS isnt' going to send a scanner to be repaired if ll that is wrong is a grip fell off?:)

thanks for the replies

abqscan

DataBase Administrator
AlabamaRS said:
warranty or not, RS isnt' going to send a scanner to be repaired if ll that is wrong is a grip fell off

Wow, I didn't know you were the public relations spokeperson for RadioShack.

But back to the grips falling off, I have sent three scanners to the repair shop to get them replaced. So I guess it depends on what RS you go to.... I strive to make raving customers!

SCPD

QRT
maybe I should start a poll, on who would send their scanner back & do without for 2-3 weeks just tof ix the grips???. Warranty or no warranty??..

Status
Not open for further replies.