PRO 96 Scratchy Audio

Status
Not open for further replies.

kd4bas

Monitoring, Hanging Out, & --mn-@v@-mn-- you.
Premium Subscriber
I have been getting increasingly scratchy audio with my PRO-96 in the lower volume settings and the extreme upper volume setting. I have sprayed contact cleaner into the audio pot from the bottom and rotated the knob, including on & off with no success. Does anyone have any further suggestions?

This scanner is past warranty.

kd4bas

Premium Subscriber
I was hoping that there was some way to clean this one that works before resorting to that step :(

DickH

kd4bas said:
I have been getting increasingly scratchy audio with my PRO-96 in the lower volume settings and the extreme upper volume setting. I have sprayed contact cleaner into the audio pot from the bottom and rotated the knob, including on & off with no success. Does anyone have any further suggestions?
If the volume control makes scratchy sounds in the speaker when you rotate it, then the contact cleaner should help. After spraying, rotate it violently for several minutes.
If it makes scratchy sounds without you touching it, then the speaker may be bad. Try an external speaker.
Dick

mancow

Database Admin
Those pots are pretty much sealed. I don't know how you would get contact cleaner in there. I replaced one a few months ago and it wasn't that bad of a procedure if you have basic soldering skills.

Mine has had the same noise at both high and low thresholds since i bought it.
If your's is still under warranty I'd send it in - unless you really like soldering!

kd4bas

Premium Subscriber
I show the catalog # as: 10983344
and the NP # as: PC0019

Is this right. before I order one.

Last edited:

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Order it through Radio Shack, they can look it up on the computer, and then ship it to your home.

kd4bas

Premium Subscriber
Went to my local Radio Shack and ordered the volume switch. Cost was $ 8.75 with $ 2.50 for Fed Ex shipping. Not bad considering the "scratchy audio" is almost no audio when set at the lower volume settings right now.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
kd4bas said:
Went to my local Radio Shack and ordered the volume switch. Cost was $ 8.75 with $ 2.50 for Fed Ex shipping. Not bad considering the "scratchy audio" is almost no audio when set at the lower volume settings right now.

What was the part number, just in case someone else needs to order one?

kd4bas

Premium Subscriber
What was the part number, just in case someone else needs to order one?

PART #: 10983344 Pot Assy, W/Switch Volume 8.75

You can call 1-800-241-8742 (fulfillment center) to order
Mon - Fri 9AM to 9PM (central time)

ind224

Hours have changed

Perhaps this is related to the no more internal RS service center, perhaps not.
Anyway, I just tried to call to order the pot and the recording said "the office" closes at 5 pm CST

I replaced mine last year, it shipped in 3 days after ordering. Guess I just got lucky. Of course now it's starting to act up again! Bad design?

SCPD

QRT
I've had mine since 12/07 with no problems, except had to send back when both of the rubber grips fell off Grr a $500 radio and less than 4 months that happens & was without radio from may 13- till June 19th

Last edited:

ind224

bad news

Not sure if it depends on who you talk to at RS "parts" but they are now saying the part is unavailable and they want me to send it in for repair.

Still looking.

Status
Not open for further replies.