Pro-96 Shoulder Speaker Mic

Status
Not open for further replies.

MOCOMD1

So I got my refurbished Pro-96 from overstock.com a couple weeks ago, and I love the thing. Works great for monitoring my areas Motorola P25 system.

Anyway, I was looking for a solution to improve hearing ability in a crowd or public- and I don't want headphones. So i was thinking something like the general issue shoulder mics police and fire officers carry.

Now, obviously the Motorola XTS 3000's which the police and fire officers carry do not use 3.5mm headphone jacks. And obviously i won't be able to talk through it.

I did find a speaker mic for motorola models, Motorola 53724, which uses some type of headphone jack:
Amazon.com: Motorola 53724 Remote Speaker with Microphone: Electronics

does anybody have any further information on this speaker mic?
I imagine it cant be too hard to convert it for use with my scanner. Thanks everybody.

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
Radio Shack used to (still does?) sell a speaker-only lapel "mic" designed for scanners. I have a few...they're okay...kind of cheap feeling (as compared to public safety grade).

The one you linked to is meant to be used with, I think, FRS radios. The plug is probably ground, speaker and mic (3 "pins"). Depending on where the speaker and ground fall, it may be a simple as a stereo->mono adapter. Otherwise you might have to build a short adapter cable.

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
So I got my refurbished Pro-96 from overstock.com a couple weeks ago, and I love the thing. Works great for monitoring my areas Motorola P25 system.

Anyway, I was looking for a solution to improve hearing ability in a crowd or public- and I don't want headphones. So i was thinking something like the general issue shoulder mics police and fire officers carry.

Now, obviously the Motorola XTS 3000's which the police and fire officers carry do not use 3.5mm headphone jacks. And obviously i won't be able to talk through it.
I imagine it cant be too hard to convert it for use with my scanner. Thanks everybody.
This appears to be scanner size.
Motorola 53724 Remote Speaker Microphone for TalkAbout

MOCOMD1

Thanks everyone for all the solution.

I don't think that mic will work because it is made for the little FRS radios. Scannermaster actually carries a lapel speaker for scanners that just has a 3.5mm plug.

Scanner Lapel Speaker

This is definitely the easiest, except scanner master wants to charge me $10.80 for their cheapest shipping option. (shipping rates are truly becoming inflated and RIDICULOUS)

I was hoping to eliminate some of the guess work with this.

Radio Shack used to (still does?) sell a speaker-only lapel "mic" designed for scanners. I have a few...they're okay...kind of cheap feeling (as compared to public safety grade).

The one you linked to is meant to be used with, I think, FRS radios. The plug is probably ground, speaker and mic (3 "pins"). Depending on where the speaker and ground fall, it may be a simple as a stereo->mono adapter. Otherwise you might have to build a short adapter cable.

Yup, exactly what i thought when i walked into my local store yesterday. Funny part is, the clerk had no idea what I was talking about, nor what type of scanner I had. Needless to say, it wasn't in the store, and after doing a couple online searches, I don't think they carry it anymore.

scansalot52

You miight find a speaker mic for ICOM etc on ebay that could be modified easily. Might find free shipping too.

apd3190

You have some big nuts to open that 96 and mess with it. I wouldnt dare because i have messed up older radios trying some mods.Send it to a pro(If there are any willing) I just dont want you you to mess your radio up. I have a pro2004 sitting here in parts now ..Thought i knew what i was doing.. NOT..

MOCOMD1

that is a pretty cool headset, must agree. $9.99 & Free Shipping?? Pretty good!

But I am more in the market for a lapel speaker at the moment. Something sturdy and reliable, and something i know i can modify and turn into a 3.5 mm headphone jack.

duchee

ya i looking for the same thing. i know they make 3.5mm motorola headsets xlt series or something but not sure if they work for scanners or not.

Para078

To make an easy jumper for the speaker, take a paper clip and cut it into a piece of wire approx. 1 1/2 inches long. Wrap one end around the 3.5mm plug and wrap the other end around the antenna jack. This will ground it and increase the volume. If the speaker jack is not next to the antenna you need to make the wire longer. This way you don' have to open the scanner and it is barely noticeable.

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
The old RS lapel speaker is sold by "ScannerMaster" who advertise on this web site...I also made the "jumper-wire" and it makes the speaker very loud canceling out the internal audio resister....

MOCOMD1

What I ended up doing was cutting open the cable in a motorola XTS 3000's speaker mic exposing the 8 or so individual wires. A google search directed me to a diagram of which wire did what, I think yellow was the speaker power and brown was ground.

Hooked that up to a 3.5 mm mono connector, and bam it worked like a charm, and looks legit too.

lucas2121

Premium Subscriber

I did find a speaker mic for motorola models, Motorola 53724, which uses some type of headphone jack:
Amazon.com: Motorola 53724 Remote Speaker with Microphone: Electronics

I used that Mic with a 2.5 mm to 3.5mm jack for years with no problems

captaindon399

Shoulder Speaker MicPRO-96

To make an easy jumper for the speaker, take a paper clip and cut it into a piece of wire approx. 1 1/2 inches long. Wrap one end around the 3.5mm plug and wrap the other end around the antenna jack. This will ground it and increase the volume. If the speaker jack is not next to the antenna you need to make the wire longer. This way you don' have to open the scanner and it is barely noticeable.

I Think you have a great solution here, however, a wire with a diameter of a paper clip would not permit a contact of the 3.5mm plug to the female counterpart. Likewise, the paperclip would impede the locking of the antenna to the male component. Maybe a little more information is necessary, but I think your idea is a great one.

Bob_61

This might be of interest to you. It looks like a long cord in the picture with 1/8" plug that is what it states.I have one with a coiled cord and it is 42" long. I believe that is 3.5mm plug, but converting 1/8" comes out to 3.175. Here is what I found on ebay Police scanner Earphone Speaker | eBay

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Status
Not open for further replies.