Pro-96 skips off channels, even wih delay on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Hi.
Can't find anything on this on the forum, but I'll ask around. I have noticed lately that my Pro-96 will be stopped on a frequency, while decoding APCO25 and will suddenly resume scanning without the transmission finishing. I thought that it was my imagination and that the transmission was finished and the delay was not on. But I went through and made sure all the channels effected had the delay set to on. This occured with DSP firmware verison 1.2 and still does it with DSP 1.3 instaled as well.
The frequencies it occurs on mostly have good signal strength and there is no transmissions near by to bleed through and cause the signal to drop out. Even if it did, there should be the set 2 second delay.

Has anyone else seen this behaviour in their own Pro-96?

It doesn't happen all the time on every channel, just occasionally and on different channels in different banks. Does not seem to happen on analogue channels.

jeffrey420

Is the Rx symbol still on or not? The symbol is the little lightning bolt looking next to the channel number at the top of the display. It also shows up at the bottom right of the display on conventional channels. The 2 second delay starts as soon as the symbol (signal) stops.

SCPD

QRT
jeffrey420 said:
Is the Rx symbol still on or not? The symbol is the little lightning bolt looking next to the channel number at the top of the display. It also shows up at the bottom right of the display on conventional channels. The 2 second delay starts as soon as the symbol (signal) stops.

The thing is there is no delay, and the signal is still present when the scanner suddenly decides to keep on scanning after stopping on a busy channel. I made sure the delay was on just to see if it made any difference. Much of the time I hear the dispatcher talking and before they finish what ever it is they are saying the scanner decided to take off and start scanning again, so I miss what has been said. It does not happen every time the scanner stops on a channel, and the problem is only very intermitent.

scnnr

I agree with Larry, try what he suggested and see if your signal is fluctuating all over the place. I have had this problem on occassion with one of the towers I had programmed into my scanner. I ended up locking out that tower.

Oh and also you might want to check to see if you have the ATT set on. If so try turning it off to att.

Randy

SCPD

QRT
I tried that. The signal is fine. Happens occassionally on a tower that is only about a mile away form me as well, which has good signal.
Still can't figure out why it does this. It will just cut a conversation off nd then it will stop very quickly on the next channel, almost perfectly that you don't hear any delay between it going from one chanel to the next.
I think if the signal drops out, and yo have the dealy on it still should sit there for 2 seconds then resume scanning. But this just seems to decide to jump to the next channel during a conversation. Happens mainly on digital. I am wondering if tis the DSP maybe, though I only recently upgraded from 1.2 to 1.3 nd it made no difference.

SCPD

QRT
I thought I might mention, just incase it has confused people on this problem I am having, this is NOT with any trunking system. This problem is happening with conventional channels, and it seems to most of the time happen with APCO25 conventional channels, mainly the police here in Sydney.

I have 2 other digital scanners, both Unidens and the problem does not occure with them at all, so that rules out the actual radio system.

The problem is only very intermitent and does not occure constantly, and you can be sitting there watching and waiting for a while before it happens. And it happens so quick your ears pick it up before you see it almost.
The scanner seems to just decide to move on tothe next active channel while stopped on another one, with a good signal and in the middle of a transmission. It can't be priority of anything like that as there is no common channel ithappens on or goes to, plus priority is not on at all.

I was hoping someone else would have seen or had this problem...

scnnr

I thought I might mention, just incase it has confused people on this problem I am having, this is NOT with any trunking system. This problem is happening with conventional channels, and it seems to most of the time happen with APCO25 conventional channels, mainly the police here in Sydney.

This may be a dumb question on my part, but here goes. On these conventional APCO25 Channels, how do you have them set as MO. or FM? If they are a conventional digital system then you should set it as just FM using the mode key.

Just in case you have not checked that out.

Randy

SCPD

QRT
Thanks Randy, no they are set to FM. The system is not trunked, so no need to set them to MO.
I still think its a fault with the radio, or the firmware.

Status
Not open for further replies.