Pro-96 Software Versions

Status
Not open for further replies.

captncarp

Has anybody found which PRO-96 software works best with a Apco-25 System (USMA WEST POINT). U1.3 or U1.4 ?
In general I understand some prefer the U1.3 for listening to Trunked Systems. Besides the Apco-25 I listen to a LTR and a EDAC system.
I have a brand new one that still has U1.2 in it and thought I would upgrade the software before I program th frequency's in it.

dwh367

Has anybody found which PRO-96 software works best with a Apco-25 System (USMA WEST POINT). U1.3 or U1.4 ?
In general I understand some prefer the U1.3 for listening to Trunked Systems. Besides the Apco-25 I listen to a LTR and a EDAC system.
I have a brand new one that still has U1.2 in it and thought I would upgrade the software before I program th frequency's in it.

Seems different firmware versions work better on different systems. I upgraded to 1.3 and 1.4 and ended up going back to 1.2 as that is what worked the best for the digital systems that I scan. You may have to do some experimenting to see which one works the best for you.

Does anyone have any related experience with a Pro 96 and Motorola Type II networks?

I thought I read somwhere that one of the revisions would work better with it, but can't seem to find it now..

jamesa53

In Indiana we have Hoosier Project SAFE-T, an 800 Motorola Type II system with both digital and analog talkgroups. I could not tell any differences when upgrading the DSP firmware from 1.2 in either the 96 or 2096. Both these radios work very well with that system. Both my radios are at DSP 1.4.

The Pro96 is actually my friends scanner, I use a BC 396T, it just seems like the Pro96 only gets about half of the conversations on the open TGs like fire/sar, as well anything digital or maybe encrypted? (police) wont work at all for us currently, compared to my 396 with the same settings and TGs, I get encrypted and normal with no problems at all...

Does anyone here have both of these scanners, that could tell me more ?

jamesa53

Assuming this is the system you are monitoring:
Aliant Trunked Mobile Radio System (TMRS) Trunking System, Province-Wide, Multi-State - Scanner Frequencies
The 96 should work very well with it. This is the same type system we have here in Indiana. Perhaps you could post your .p96 file that you are using for review.
A couple things to check that are obvious is to have each of the control channel freqs set to MOT and the bank itself set to MOT. Also I never use Delay on any TGs or CC freqs.

Lets hope your 396 isnt picking up encrypted talkgroups ;-]]

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
The Pro96 is actually my friends scanner, I use a BC 396T, it just seems like the Pro96 only gets about half of the conversations on the open TGs like fire/sar, as well anything digital or maybe encrypted? (police) wont work at all for us currently, compared to my 396 with the same settings and TGs, I get encrypted and normal with no problems at all...

Does anyone here have both of these scanners, that could tell me more ?
Pro-96/2096 ignores encrypted coms on smartzone systems. However, I've never had problems otherwise with any Motorola or EDACS systems while traveling in 12 states including SAFE-T. It does have a little problem with my own VHF P25 trunking system but the 396/996T has more problems with this system. All new GRE made digital and both XT Unidens improved on my systems problem

For original post by captncarp:
U1.2 is for 9600 bps P25 control channel and utilize Linear Simulcast Modulation (LSM).

U1.3 is for Improved decoding of digital audio on the Detroit, Michigan Project 25 Trunked Radio System

U1.4 is for improving the performance of initial digital voice decoding and should result in fewer instances of undecoded digital noise at the beginning of transmissions. Some reported that U1.3 had problems with beginning of transmission.

I wish Jamesa, the 396 is just getting digital, sorry for my poor use of the different terms lol :)

I've got the Pro96 working ok now, I did a DSP upgrade, and got some more information on the local system, but it still seems to have trouble with the digital channels, who knows, I'll keep trying different set ups..

Thanks for the suggestions/help folks :)

scnnr

I might add that my old pro 96 is a first generation pro 96 with a cpu version 1.1. Purchased mine back in 2003. These versions have issues with certain tg areas. Mine will not scan / recieve any TGs in the 40xxx to 50xxx range. All it does is making clicking sound with the screen flickering .

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.