Pro 96 still work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canadabear07

I'll located in central Michigan zip code 48617 somebody local has a pro 96 for $50.can this scanner still be used to listen to local police dispatch in my area? Also is it possible to manually program it without a laptop?

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
Yes it would work, just a matter of getting it programmed, check craigslist for that if need be, one that does that there.
Be advised the pro 96 series, defiantly not all but a significant %, the 800 MHz reception will drift a bit and you wont get anything its sometimes fixable doing an internal adjustment, again not all have this issue by know means. If you wanted it also to hear midland county, they use almost all the time 700 MHz and the pro 96 cant get that band.

You wont be able to get your road commission, jail or farwell schools as those are listed as DMR in the database. Clare County, Michigan (MI) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference
Thats motorbo another form of digital radio. Also Isabella extensively uses that too.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
I always enjoy that you pick that up doc. Seriously. It reminds me of my fifth grade English teacher Mr. Thompson. You're good :ROFLMAO: .

The pro 96 is a historic radio. Made by GRE and rebranded by RadioShack, it was up against the Uniden bc250d as the first digital scanners in 2003. The pro 96 was hands down better modulation and performance than the Uniden offering. It did well on VHF and UHF but was Superior on 500 megahertz type II smartzone digital systems. Clear crisp excellent modulation against the muddy muffled Uniden.

Still have my Pro 96 which is an excellent shape because I had bought the leather case available at the time and it's an excellent condition. I did listen to the 800 megahertz analog hybrid New Jersey State Police system and it was Superior reception to anything out there. Not so great on 800 megahertz Philly phase one simulcast.

We are talking about a radio that was released in 2003. Solid radio without all the glitches and quality control issues so familiar to us today.

If it means anything I still have my Uniden bc250d, also kept in a case and looks brand new and did not have any defects or glitches since I owned it and still works like new today.

N8IAA

I'll located in central Michigan zip code 48617 somebody local has a pro 96 for $50.can this scanner still be used to listen to local police dispatch in my area? Also is it possible to manually program it without a laptop?

Yes to both questions for Clare county.
Good price for the 96 (y)

tvengr

Well Known Member
Clare Co uses the statewide MPSCS system. Both the Harrison and Lake sites in Clare Co are 800 MHz so you are OK with the Pro-96. The Mt Pleasant Isabella Co site is also 800 MHz.

Last edited:

MisterLongwire

Amateur radio operator/QC tech for radio mfr.
Banned
I always enjoy that you pick that up doc. Seriously. It reminds me of my fifth grade English teacher Mr. Thompson. You're good :ROFLMAO: .

The pro 96 is a historic radio. Made by GRE and rebranded by RadioShack, it was up against the Uniden bc250d as the first digital scanners in 2003. The pro 96 was hands down better modulation and performance than the Uniden offering. It did well on VHF and UHF but was Superior on 500 megahertz type II smartzone digital systems. Clear crisp excellent modulation against the muddy muffled Uniden.

Still have my Pro 96 which is an excellent shape because I had bought the leather case available at the time and it's an excellent condition. I did listen to the 800 megahertz analog hybrid New Jersey State Police system and it was Superior reception to anything out there. Not so great on 800 megahertz Philly phase one simulcast.

We are talking about a radio that was released in 2003. Solid radio without all the glitches and quality control issues so familiar to us today.

If it means anything I still have my Uniden bc250d, also kept in a case and looks brand new and did not have any defects or glitches since I owned it and still works like new today.
I am happy I still have mine and it is in pristine condition too

tvengr

Well Known Member
QUOTE: The 800 MHz reception will drift a bit and you wont get anything its sometimes fixable doing an internal adjustment.

If you have receive problems, the internal adjustment is VR4 for best P25 decode.

Haley

I agree. I still have mine and use it for various services. Before my local/state went to mostly P2 systems, the state DOT was on a VHF P1, the 96 sounded great listening to them. I think (to my ears), it was the balanced sound that made it so good, not too tinny or muffled. Don't want to get off comment , but I have to say nice profile pic. , one of the greatest movies ever made. That cast was so awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.