Pro 96 Stops at DSP Screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

TJMeredith

Premium Subscriber
My Pro 96 won't go beyond DSP F1.0.....no welcome to trunking screen and no scanning...

Tried the reset procedure to no avail........

Amy suggestions...do I have to get repaired at Radio Shack or simply trash the thing...Bought in Feb 2006,,,only 2 years old....

Thanks in advance....

Tom M sends

SCPD

QRT
could be loose connection somewhere, open up & look carefully & maybe try and jiggle it carefully & see if something pops back into place,, otherwise send it back to be repaired

mikey60

TJMeredith said:
Thanks for both suggestions....I have Win 96 so will try that first,,,,next will be the open and close surgery....

Tom M sends

When you program it, make sure that at least one bank is enabled in Win96. I seem to remember something similar to this happening a few years back.

Mike

TJMeredith

Premium Subscriber
Unfortunately,,,

It will not do anything beyond the first two lines saying loading DSP. I just opened it up and found nothing loose....it has never been dropped. Hooking serial cable with Win 96 does nothing....

Looks like it's got to go back to Radio Shack for maintenance.

Thanks again for all suggestions...

Tom M sends

TJMeredith

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Jesserabbit....I thought of that and attempted turn on with power cord versus battery for power....still no welcome screen....just loading DSP....

Tom M sends

Last edited:

TJMeredith

Premium Subscriber
Yes,,,I attempted to reset the scanner first using the paperclip insert. There was no change.

Problem I had with attempting to initialize it that it never goes beyond that line that says loading DSP. Welcome screen words never appear and thus pressing zero key to begin the sequence does nothing.

Has me baffled. Unless anyone has more tricks I can try, I am planning to take it to my Radio Shack store where I bought it in February 2006 for repair.

Thanks again,,,Tom M sends

TJMeredith

Premium Subscriber
Thanks to each of you that tried to give me a tip on what might be wrong with my PRO 96. Happy to report the scanner is back from Radio Shack. The problem was a faulty PCB Assemby (Linear), Radio Shack PN# XB92017. The part was $139.99 and they charged me $40 in labor. I got credit for the $20 I gave my local Radio Shack to send it off for an estimate....plus I was provided the faulty part (actually a board like unit)

So far it has worked great this afternoon....we'll see. Radio Shack gave me a 90-day warranty........

Wanted to make sure everyone knew what had caused the problem.....

Tom M sends

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
TJMeredith said:
The part was $139.99 and they charged me $40 in labor. I got credit for the $20

ouch that seems like a lot for a scanner that is selling for $300 used now.
Id have sold it "as-is not working" on ebay and got $200 for it hehe
But if you love your 96 then hey go for it

Also this part listing/info will help others who have the same problem the solution

radionerd13669

Useless Contributor
$135.00 seems like alot for a scanner I paid $500.00 for.Its a shame Radio Shack Hasnt come up with a better fix.

I just dont know what to do now with it ......any suggestions

daedalus

I have the same problem with one of my PRO-2096s. It's intermittent and drives me nuts - but not enough frustration to send it off to the never-never land of RS repair!

Status
Not open for further replies.