Pro-96 upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

timmer

I went out to RS.com and looked into the upgrade for my pro-96. There are three diffrent downloads to choose from. 2 are for pro-96's and 2096's, the other is for pro-96 only. Which one should I use? Are they all the same? Thanks for any info.

jambo

The v.1.3 is the one to get. It does list two of them so either one will work for you, they're both the same thing the only difference is one of them comes with a PDF to read so you know what the update basically fixes.

babyreb

jambo said:
The v.1.3 is the one to get. It does list two of them so either one will work for you, they're both the same thing the only difference is one of them comes with a PDF to read so you know what the update basically fixes.
didnt help my pro 96

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
As mentioned on the countless other threads you posted this - you still need to be in a good part of the city to be able to receive a CQPSK system. 98% of all posts say this has helped them.

n4voxgill

Silent Key
I got a chance to try mine out on austin today and could tell a difference. i am also picking up a digital military system with more clarity. Used both my Pro96 and 2096

VintageJon

Where do I get this groovy improvement? (He asked in an ignorant manner...)

-Jon

kc8syo

Babyreb I get Detroit pretty clear from my location in Sterling Hgts on a rubber duck with the upgrade.

rdale

Premium Subscriber
Go to the RS forum here and read any of the countless threads that refer to "1.3 fix" and/or go to Radio Shack's website and read the file that comes with the 1.3 fix.

VintageJon

Installed the "1.3 fix" this weekend. LCRA here in Travis County Texas EDACS 900MHz
is MUCH BETTER with the 1.3 installed!

-Jon

rdale

Premium Subscriber
When you travel around the city, don't you notice the improvement anywhere?

VintageJon

Generally only scan from here or a mile away at shop. Note Air, with ABIA programmed thru WIN96, is much better also!

No real improvement in APCO25, though none was expected. Really good for VHF and EDACS though.

73's,
Jon

GTO_04

Unble to Download Upgrade

Every time I click on "TEST" I get back an error message that says "Failure to read back sent data......blah, blah, blah!" I am connected to COM1 and that is what I selected in Step 1. It does not acknowledge that a scanner is connected at all! I closed all my other programs BTW before I did this.

Any ideas what's wrong? Is my cable defective?

The message "Clone Mode" pops up on the scanner but that's all the farther I get.

At this time I'm stumped. Not as user friendly as the 396 so far as far as PC connectivity!

GTO_04

VintageJon

I agree.
With Printer, Hub, Wire-Less Mouse installed here on the USB my radio interface runs on Port 4!

There is some MS thing you can do to ID ports and maybe some Computer Whiz will post it.
(I'm just 60 year old analog and simply hack my way into this digital stuff. After hack I never recall how I got there, and never record it as it's all dumb luck here...)

73's,
Jon

GTO_04

pinetree said:
Maybe your com port is not com 1 try setting to another com port.

Tried that. My PC only has two serial ports, and one of them is for the monitor. I suppose the unused serial port could be something other than COM1, but it is labeled as "1" on the outside of the PC. I tried some other com ports but no luck so far.

GTO_04

Status
Not open for further replies.