PRO-96 vs. 369T

Status
Not open for further replies.

Navycop

I am promised a new scanner from the wife, for father's day. I seen alot of post for both scanners. I just need to know which one is basically the best. I don't need alot of bells and whistles-just to scan the APCO 25 in Virginia.

Andruw

If you just want APCO 25 and not a lot of bells and whistles then the Pro-96 would be good.

JHaislet

I internally debated this issue for awhile before deciding. Ultimately, went with the 396T. Also, a HUGE difference between them is the 396T can be firmware upgraded (for rebanding) by YOU...just download a new firmware from Uniden & flash the 396T. I've heard the Pro-96 will at least require a trip back to the RS factory, and even then, I haven't heard details as to how much it will cost or if it's even economically possible.

jimyleg

JHaislet said:
I internally debated this issue for awhile before deciding. Ultimately, went with the 396T. Also, a HUGE difference between them is the 396T can be firmware upgraded (for rebanding) by YOU...just download a new firmware from Uniden & flash the 396T. I've heard the Pro-96 will at least require a trip back to the RS factory, and even then, I haven't heard details as to how much it will cost or if it's even economically possible.

Get the 396, it's newer meaning it came after the pro-96. It's upgradeble form home, imagine seeing a new firmware and say "hey cool an improvement". It's small. AND you can adjust the agc around, i'v found this pretty awsome for the fact that i go from car to house to who knows right? Well you can change the agc for any speakers your plugging into. Dynamic memory... If your getting a digital scanner get the 396. It's going to drop i'n price i hope for your sake giving the new 996 out now.

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
The 396 is alot better than pro96 pro96 can't do 700mhz trunk but you can pick it up. the pro96 has a thing for FM radio whcih doesn't pick up because its not WFM. The 396 is better I would get that I have one its a good radio.... forgot the 396 has lower tv stations too. It doesnt do higher tv just lower band tv stations.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
I can get the 396 to sound as good as my PRO-96, given a choise of one or the other, I'd buy the 396.

As for a reason to keep the PRO-96, it works great as a P25 system monitor with pro96com.exe and as a troubleshooting tool for 396 and 996 digital audio settings.

Neather radio is perfect, but I like the 396 features over the PRO-96 or BC296D.

JHaislet

External speaker?

I'd much rather have a very small & compact radio (which the 396T is) vs a larger radio with a better internal speaker. The sound quality can always be corrected with an external speaker or headphones, but you're always stuck with the radio's physical size.
Hell, I'd be happy if Uniden lopped off the speaker compartment entirely and made the whole radio a little thinner and 1.5" shorter.
(think portable mp3 player)

Just my two cents though ;)

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
That is true about the radio if you have a ear plug I have to turn it to 1 or 2 if 3 or more it would hurt my ear... I like the radio its small and can scann more than 500 channels like the RS radios. I wish the audio on the radio was louder than it is sometimes I have to turn the speacker up like 10 sometimes outside unless I have my ear bud in.

Status
Not open for further replies.